Chapter 1

Neri was running down the path by the cliffs, instead of flying down alongside her cousins. Today was the celebration of the sea, the ice would return and the celebration would be held on the ice plain.

The cliffs created the border between the woods and the plains Neri's people lived, and the wide nothingness of the ocean. Though there were others like her on the other side, as there was a trade route from the ports on their side to the land on the other side.

The traders would return in a day or two, signalling the beginning of a new year. The trade route was established over land, sea and ice. Every place providing their own signature items, Neri still felt the stiffness in her hands after picking peacock feathers for the last weeks.

"Hurry up, Neri! The sun is setting."

Her cousins were on the shore already, waiting for her to join them in preparation for the week-long celebration. Tonight would start with an offering for the gods in the forms of dances being performed.

"We still need to practise the last form, so it would be greatly appreciated if you wouldn't try to break your neck."

Neri laughed it off and continued her descent without unfolding her wings. Tomorrow and the following days, they would collect food and gifts till the traders had all returned. It would be last preparations for the feast during the longest night.

"Don't worry, I know what I'm doing!"

The scoffs she received were in little malice and she promptly ignored them. Not everyone could fly down a cliff without worry, she certainly didn't want to disturb the festivities with her fly skills.

Once she had finally safely arrived, did she join her cousins in their dance. This would be the last one that would be performed, when the moon was at her highest point. And once more during the longest night when the ice would return.

"And up, mind the wings Neri. Ours are a lot more delicate than yours."

This was the second part of the dance that wouldn't be performed tonight. Neri would lift the others up from the ground, in a ceremonial ascent from the sand. Her cousins would fly among the stars. After their return she would go up for her solo performance and land on the formed ice.

A small touchdown. Not even a true landing, but a show of grace and tribute to the gods.

It would be the sign for the next part of the festivities.

Stargazing.

Though the different families would also meet and chat with each other. The traders that had been gone for months and that would leave once more after the celebration had time to reacquaint themselves with their families.

The long day after that would be spent on the beach, no one would be allowed to leave as the ice settled once more. That was the day Neri feared for.

Not the dance, nor her solo performance even though this would be the first time the honour was bestowed on her. No it was the family talk, the couples sneaking away for some alone time. The questions that would be asked every year.

That day couldn't be over fast enough, the other days of the celebration on the other hand. They could go on for eternity, the celebration of the sun was not even close to the happiness this one gave.