Chapter 2 - Solicitude

(Wattpad glitched and a part of this chapter that I had deleted got published instead of what I actually meant to write so this is a reupload)

Alhaitham woke up the next morning, though a bit later than usual due to staying up past his normal bedtime last night. He sat up at the edge of his bed and moved his hair out of his eyes before stretching his arms and letting out a yawn. 

He'd figured there wasn't much time left for him to get ready to go to work, so he decided he'd skip breakfast for the day. As he got out of bed, he left his room and walked towards the bathroom and on his way there, he noticed that the door to Kaveh's room was slightly ajar. He'd usually have it shut while sleeping. 

Ignoring  this detail, Alhaitham walked past and into the bathroom, commencing his daily morning routine. After finishing, he returned to his bedroom and started putting on his Akademiya uniform, making sure to get rid of any wrinkles as he examined himself in the mirror. Completing the outfit with the hat, he left the confines of his bedroom and walked into the living room, making his way towards the entrance. 

- Alhaitham's POV -

I was just about to leave when the noise of a repetitive tapping noise entered my ears. It was coming from my office. Now I understood. Kaveh had pulled another all-nighter. I would ignore this as per usual, as I preferred to avoid any irrelevant and awkward conversations in the morning, but considering what had happened yesterday, I felt more and more disappointed in him. I dare say it even angered me. He hardly had any concerns regarding himself.

I walked into the office, not getting any particular reaction from him, just an exchange in looks which displayed his tired drooping eyes, under which dark circles had began developing. He was slumped over the desk on top of his blueprints, surrounded by pencils and painting materials. I couldn't help but let out a sigh, crossing my arms over my chest as if I were demanding an explanation from him, though I didn't need one. 

"If you're here to mock me, I've got no energy to hear it." He straightened up and used the pencil he was gripping onto to scribble something out. 

"I thought you said you were not trying to pass out on purpose, yet you are here, despite having fallen ill yesterday. Did you not hear the doctor's advice?" I scoffed.

"I have overdue work that I must complete within a day. I have no time to rest. Thanks for caring, though." He answered in a rather robot-like manner.

"I don't really care. I just don't want to have to drag you to the doctor again." I turned my head to the side while looking at him. 

"Of course, why'd you care? I made the mistake of thinking you actually had a heart." He rolled his eyes before averting them from mine. 

"I don't understand how you expect anyone to care about you when you don't care about yourself." I retorted, causing him to look up at me. 

"Well, maybe it's because I have clients to satisfy and I'm willing to sacrifice some things to make them happy! I'm sure you're glad that your job doesn't require you to do that, so be it!" He sprung up. The expressions on his face twisted with both anger and fatigue. Silently, I walked out of the office and left for the Akademiya. 

- Time: 7 pm -

- Kaveh's POV - 

I let out a sigh of relief as I finally returned to the doorsteps of my home. I'd just gotten back from delivering some blueprints to my clients. A sense of solace finally washed over me as I realised I'd finished all my overdue work and that I could finally take some rest after a whole week. I considered my venture in the desert yesterday to be a part of work, but it ended not so well and I couldn't do any work later on and had to cram it all over night.