Chapter 4 - Something rather considerate

- Kaveh's POV - 

After we'd finally finished cleaning and tidying the entirety of the house, I decided to wind down and relax in the living room-- without Alhaitham. After tidying the study, he left to tidy his room and hadn't come out. I was glad though, because I didn't want to see him after what had just happened. 

Oh, of course, as soon as I thought of him, he had to appear.

From the corner of my vision, I saw him walk into the living room, but I didn't look at him until he walked directly in front of the sofa I was sitting on. My eyes grew slightly wide as it occurred to me that he was shirtless, he'd taken off his home clothes and was putting on his normal clothes. I internally sighed. Couldn't he have just put his clothes on before coming to me? 

"There's going to be a gathering at the tavern tonight. I can't go because I have some business to take care of in Aaru village, so let the others know." He explained as he pulled his skin-tight sleeveless shirt over his head.

"Wait, who's hosting it?" 

"Cyno." He deadpanned before pulling on his cape and gloves. He seemed somewhat in a hurry, and I was going to ask him what work had come up but I didn't want to interfere in the Acting Grand Sage's work. He waited for a response from me and after giving him a nod, he didn't hesitate to go to the front door and leave. And just like that, he was gone. I was happy the interaction was little, leaving no space for bickering. 

After being promoted to be the Grand Sage, Haitham had become more, well, secretive. More than he already was. Unlike before, nowadays, he'd often leave without any explanations. 

Not like it mattered to me, of course. I only wanted him to be home by night time, so I could know that he was still alive. 

Brushing those thoughts aside, I started wondering why Cyno was hosting dinner at the tavern tonight when we'd already spent time there last night. What could've been the occasion? I dug through my mental calendar and figured that it wasn't any of their birthdays either...I shrugged and realised that any opportunity to spend time with my friends was good.  

══════════════════

Once night time finally approached, I got dressed, making sure I looked presentable before leaving the house and making my way to the tavern. The night was rather cool and the gentle breeze that blew washed a chilling yet soothing feeling over my body. The city looked lively tonight as well, many people were outside unlike most other nights. It really made me wonder what could've been the occasion today, but still, nothing came up in my mind. 

Once I was finally at the entrance of the tavern, I swung open the door and walked in, immediately noticing that the tavern was rather empty, with only three or four people, despite so many people being out. I looked around but didn't see any of my friends at the tables so I believed they were upstairs. Flashing a friendly smile, I waved at Lambad behind his counter and he waved back before I made my way upstairs. As soon as I turned the corner of the wall, my heart almost jumped out of my chest and I stepped backward, gripping the railing of the stairs. 

"Happy birthday, Kaveh!" My friends all chimed at once, standing in a semi circle beside the stairs. My brain took a few seconds to process what was going on before I let out a chuckle and regained my position before walking towards them. They threw confetti and flowers at me, absolutely decorating me with it. I thanked them all and caught my breath.

It seemed like I'd forgotten my own birthday...

All of my friends were there: Cyno, Tighnari, Collei, some of my other friends, and even the traveler. I was pleased to see that they were all there for me and remembered my birthday. They took me where there were three tables joined together, and every inch of the surface of the tables were filled with platters of food. My jaw fell open, pondering how much money could've gone into this. Everyone sat down and admired the feast presented in front of them.