Chapter 11 - Maybe There's Hope (Probably)

(Another long chapter for y'all since the last chapter was... 🙄)

-Alhaitham's POV-

It was the following morning, and despite drinking as much as I did last night, I was able to wake up early. Unfortunately though, my memories of last night hadn't vanished like I'd wished they would. I questioned what the reason was for what happened last night. It's as if whenever we get drunk, we can't stay away from each other. 

Is it because we both know we have feelings for each other that we can't express when sober? 

As much as I wanted to let him know that I had feelings for him, I didn't want to give him any hopes of being in a relationship. I knew that in the long run, it wouldn't be good for neither of us. 

Brushing my thoughts aside, I left my room to get ready for the morning when I heard banging noises coming from Kaveh's room- and so I took a detour and went towards his room, cracking the door ajar to see him sitting on the floor surrounded by cardboard boxes, some full, some empty. But what stood out the most was the box that was in front of him. It was a rather large box, blue in colour with intricate golden designs and diamond shapes along the side. The box belonged to Kaveh, and he'd brought it with him when he'd moved in. I always wondered what was within it, since Kaveh never opened it, but now I was able to sneak a peek as the lid was off. 

The contents only consisted of a few books and scrolls of paper, and resting in Kaveh's hand was a diary that was locked shut by what seemed to be a combination lock.

"You're packing already?" I asked him, prompting him to look up at me. He simply nodded and put the diary back into the box before shutting the lid. Then he slightly turned to his side and gathered a pile of books and after brushing the dust off of the covers, he shoved them into an empty box. 

I had some things to say to him, seeing that he was really planning to leave. 

And so, I kneeled down in front of him and got on his eye level, so as to not look down on him.

-Kaveh's POV-

I glanced at him, not knowing what his next move was. 

The past few days were very confusing, and I had to admit that I'd never seen Alhaitham acting so strangely. It was as if he was alternating between his normal self and the side of him that wanted to show affection. He wasn't very good at showing affection, but I could tell he was trying somewhat, and I couldn't tell why. Didn't he want to distance himself from me after my confession?

"I'm sorry." He began. "For what happened last night." 

I blinked a few times and just nodded as an approval of his apology, before going back to gathering the belongings I'd kept on the floor to pack. Yes, if you're wondering why I'm packing so early, it's because as soon as I get my hands on that prize money, I'm out of here. 

"And I'm also sorry for hurting your feelings." 

I looked back up at him, wondering if I'd misheard him. Alhaitham? Apologising for hurting my feelings? Well, that was new. It had happened only once or twice in the span of our whole friendship. 

"Did you hit your head or something? Or is this because you don't want me to leave?" I laughed at him, but the expression on his face didn't shift. It was that same expression from a few days ago- not harsh but not soft either...just somewhere in the middle. He shook his head as a response to my question. 

"I respect your decision as my senior." He slightly nodded.

"Well, thank you for being mature, at least. I'm glad we can end things off on good terms." I told him while continuing to pack.