Chapter 20 - Silk

(I'm very sorry for the very late upload guys, i was busy with life and not doing well mentally so thanks for being so patient :) this will also be the second last chapter, just so you know. Thanks for sticking around for so long! I appreciate every single one of you <3)

The two stared at each other wordlessly, neither of them daring to speak up first. Haitham on the other hand seemed to be deep in thought. He couldn't handle seeing Kaveh like this, so he was about to give up the little secret he had- but he just didn't know how to. 

"That letter..." Kaveh began, wiping his own tears away with the back of his hand. "Just tell me, it's from a woman isn't it? If it was nothing suspicious, why would you be hiding it from me?! Just tell me if you're not interested in me anymore and I'll leave, I don't want to waste any of your or my time." Kaveh slightly pushed him away and freed himself from his grip and just when he was about to walk away, Haitham grabbed him by the wrist. 

"I'll tell you everything." 

.

.

.

Haitham led Kaveh to his room and opened the drawer of his bedside table where the letter was, while Kaveh stood and watched in suspense. Why couldn't he just tell him straight up? 

Once Haitham turned around, he pulled the letter out of its envelope and showed it to Kaveh, bringing his attention to the bottom of the page by pointing at it, which was when Kaveh couldn't help but rub his eyes in confusion, puzzled if this was reality or not. 

He read the name and signature written in red ink at the bottom over and over again, wondering if his tears were blurring his vision and making him see things but no- it was really real. 

The name read "Faranak". 

Haitham watched as Kaveh looked back up at him with a look of realisation plastered on his face, tears forming at the rim of his eyes again as he grabbed Haitham and hugged him firmly, sobbing into his shoulder. 

"Tell me this isn't a dream, Haitham..." He stuttered between shallow breaths as Haitham put the letter aside and hugged him back. 

"No, Kaveh. I really have gotten into touch with your mother." Haitham whispered softly into his ear as he gently caressed Kaveh's back, attempting to calm him. 

It had been several years since Kaveh had heard of his mother after she'd remarried and moved away. He didn't even know if she was still alive and well, but now all of this pretty much confirmed it. That explained why the paper the envelope was made of didn't seem to be from Sumeru, and the wax had the letter F stamped onto it. It all finally made sense and Kaveh's mind filled with a sense of relief, despite not knowing what the contents of the letter even contained.

He was just glad to hear from his mother at least one more time...But why was it Haitham that she'd gotten into touch with? Kaveh asked him that same question once he pulled away, to which Haitham averted his gaze for a second. 

"I was actually the one who reached out to her, since I know it's been many years since you've talked to her." He responded. "I tried to keep all of this a secret because...Well, I was planning to take you to Fontaine to meet her. I wrote to her saying that and she wrote back saying that she'd be delighted to see you again." 

Kaveh's sleepy, emotion-filled mind took a few seconds to process the words his lover had just said to him. He wouldn't have ever thought in a million years that Haitham was planning to do this...