Beginning of busy days

My name is Amamiya Gorou. I'm an ob-gyn from the rural Miyazaki-ken. Long story short, the only idol I ever vowed to love and support came to the hospital I was stationed in, 20 weeks pregnant. She was a natural born talent, almost as if chosen by Ame-no-Uzume herself. Even when her belly couldn't be hidden anymore, the starlight in her eyes still shone through, burning any admirers that dared to come too close. I was no different. It was a shock at first for sure, but I would never exchange the days Ai was in my care for anything. That latter half of her pregnancy came by and went like an arrow, and during which, I was able to learn who Hoshino Ai really was behind the limelight. Maybe it was my obsession with her, but I felt like the admiration I have for the normal life Ai wasn't any less than that I have for the centre girl of B-Komachi on stage. She was devious, so determined to hide her twins, yet so carefree at the same time. Ai wasn't even fazed at the prospect of having to have a C-section. And so I was moved by how daring, how open-minded and how human she, just like us fans, was. I vowed to safely help deliver her little angels and protect her little family no matter what. Ai was probably going to go back to being an invincible idol just as before, and so shall I return to being an avid fan of hers, but if that's what it would take to safeguard her happiness, I shall see it to the end.

However, things took many turns I did not expect. After that night, I kept having dreams in which I return to that cliff.  I remembered it well. It was a place what few childhood friends I had before they all moved to cities, and I came to hang out after school. It was the place I resorted to for some peace and quiet every time grandfather started about my mother again. It was the place I...

Fell...?

"Aish... Dozed off again...?"

I quietly cursed my damn brain for the myoclonic jerk and sat up straight. My eyelids felt heavy, as if disagreeing with the startle caused by the falling sensation just now. The twins were still sleeping soundly, but I went to check their cribs anyway.

"Good girls..."

That's right. Hoshino Ai's twin daughters were now in my care. It was Saitou Ichigo's - the president of Strawberry Productions - idea. He proposed, now that I barely escaped the stalker that was after Ai and possibly my life, it was in the best interests for us both, for me to lay low. The first step of the plan was to transfer Ai away from the hospital I was working as soon as she and the babies were ready. Luckily, the twins were just as lively as Ai said they would be when she first came here. Perhaps even more so than I thought...?

"Ogyaaaaaa...!!! Ogyaaaaaaaahh!!!!"

Speak of the devil. 

"Yes... yes... Sensei's here." - Ruby's crying seemed to cease almost instantly as I staggered towards her crib and my head was in her sight.

What a magnificent feat of genetics, I thought to myself as I caressed the little blondie's head and rocked her slowly from side to side in my embrace. Both of the twins had shiny golden locks of hair as opposed to the smooth, silky violet their mother sported. The colours of the windows to their souls seemed to have been split from Ai's as well. Her amethyst became Ruby's magenta and Aqua's bright turquoise... Or at least that was what I thought the kids' eye colours were. After all, Ai did name them "Aquamarine" and "Ruby", so it was probably her gradient perceptions being better than mine.   

It has been a month since the discreet transfer of Ai's little family back to Tokyo. Thanks to many modes of rigorous idol training of Strawberry Productions, she perked up almost overnight after the delivery. I quietly thanked the gods after no complications whatsoever happened. As for me, I became affiliated with Strawberry Productions... sort of.

...

"I won't ask you to quit your job as a doctor. What I am saying... no, asking is you move with us to Tokyo." - Saitou-san looked straight into my eyes when he gave the proposal. - "Won't you help us safeguarding Ai's secrets and career?"

"Tokyo..."

I hadn't returned there for quite a long while after finishing my undergraduate program. Six years in that metropolis was already hellish enough. And I was too aware that Saitou was striking at the soft spot of my fan side. I would get to stay close to Ai and her twins, what more could a fan like me ask for? But once again, does president Saitou really trust me that much?

"To be honest, I'm... not against the idea." - I sheepishly replied, fiddling my thumbs. - "It's just... we barely know each other for like, not even three months now. How can you be sure what I told you were all true and I'm not just another stalker trying to swindle you and Ai?"

Saitou Ichigo bellowed loudly till his face turned red from laughing too hard. Never mind that we were still in the labor ward, his laugh echoed throughout the hall and sounded genuinely relaxing, devoid of any mocking undertones.

"Oh Sensei..." - he stopped to wipe the lens of his sunglasses, both of which became cloudy thanks to the tears in the corners of his eyes. - "You don't give yourself enough credits!"

"Uhh... thank you?" - I tried to muster along a few chuckles while ruffling the back of my head.

The awkwardness I felt then was nothing compared to the sudden fear that got ahold of me when Saitou changed the tone of voice, again.

"Did you think we would've entrusted Ai's safety to you if we found out you are just another sleazy dirtbag?"

Saitou leaned in close a little and I swore I could cut the murderous pressure he exuded with a butter knife. I reflexively shut my eyes tight, as this was giving me uncomfortable flashbacks to my school days. But before that train of thought could reach its final stop, I felt a hand on both my shoulders, gently giving me pats.

"What I know is you ARE a good person." - Saitou grinned at me from ear to ear. The tension I felt just now dissipated as if it wasn't even there a second ago. - "A professional, through and through, like me. That, I have no doubt."

The president started flicking his lighter again.

"At first we had to hastily find a place where Ai could both stay and attract as little attention as possible, so any digging had to be done after we got here. I was quite surprised myself when Ai told me you are her fan."

"Actually I never told her that myself, didn't I...", I thought while forcing my lips to curl up a bit. Saitou-san continued.

"Ai's carelessness got me flying by the seat of my pants the whole time, y'know. But you also sticking around the whole time, doing your damn job was enough to ease my worries. I knew you could be trusted the moment I saw you escorting her everyday, walking around the hospital."

I was just... enjoying the moment though...?

"There you go making that face again!" - Saitou-san raised his voice, startling me once more. - "Believe in yourself more, dammit! You make it too easy for others to see your lack of self-esteem!"

"Uhhh... ahh... eh?" - the sudden but true jab left me scrambling for words in utter failure.

"You have my trust, and that's final."

The president stood up and looked at the time.

"See if we can talk next morning, Sensei. We'll discuss everything later."

"... Right..."

Saitou-san left the ward, leaving me to ponder his proposal.

...

Ruby's mouth opened and closed with her tongue almost sticking out, signaling to me that the little one is hungry. Coincidentally, her little sister also stretched out her tiny limbs and yawned, telling me her slumber was just now over.

"Who's a good girl? Are you a good girl Aqua?" - I used my right index finger to gently draw circles on the younger twin's left cheek, but it seemed this little blondie wanted none of it.

"Ogyaaaaa!!!! Ogyaaaaaa!!!!!" - that was her objection.

Maybe it was just my overthinking, but aren't babies under eight weeks old not able to hold their arms up firmly, as if to tell they want to be soothed by your warmth?

Just as I was checking to see if Aqua was settled nice and tight in the baby wrap yet and ready to prepare formula bottles for both twins, the office door opened.

"Aqua! Ruby! Mama's home!"