Comfort

I once again found myself on that cliff.

"..."

I knew full well this was a dream. Heck, I could even feel the strong wind coursing through the gaps in my clothes and making the fabrics flutter. It was the same scenery, as usual. But before my mind could ponder the reason it always came back here....

"You better not look down there~"

"...?!"

An icy chill gripped my spine so suddenly that I even thought my upper body's temperature dropped below the normal human threshold. With a jolt, I jerked to the direction of the voice immediately and was met a sight that my subconscious mind was screaming to get away from. A child clad in a typical black smock for kindergarteners was standing behind me. Her eyes were faint in color, so pale I could even see her abyssal irises staring straight back at mine. They were expressionless, yet astute and commanding. The oppressive air unbefitting of, yet was exuding from her small stature made me shudder in the thought of me having met a dream intruder whose very existence was unbeknownst to its victims.

A horripilation of dread creeped from the back of my neck and spread downwards. I could only stare back. Once again the cold tingles of droplets of sweats racing along my back graced my senses. My legs felt like lead, so heavy I could even feel like the weight could sink my whole body down, burying me alive under the layers of this cliff sediments. The other option was to take a step back, but the sounds of pebbles falling off the elevation made me reconsider.

This... was my dream, right? Can I... die here, like those in horror movies and stories do?

"Onii-chan better be careful~"

The child just smiled. Her eyes narrowed a bit, gave sight to the crinkles no children of her appearance should even have. Soon my vision was blocked by a typhoon of raven feathers. The caws of the corvids started out rhythmic but quickly turned frenzied. The murders' swirling tempest was like a wildfire, consuming every last light in my line of sight, until the only things I could hear and see were the sounds of the crows and the brief glimpse of the outstretched, disquieting crack on the kindergartner's face. 

One crow tackled me. Then another.

And another. The pain of their whole bodies crashing, their sharp beaks boring into me could be felt in every pores on my skin. My screams, deafened.

My feet were pushed off the ground under them just now. The girl's dark visage contrasting the dull hair color reflected off by the sunlight, combined with the crescent beam on her face were the last things I saw before the raven dance of plumage swallowed me whole.

I...

Again...

...

...

"Sen-"

"Sensei-...!"

I didn't know how many times Ai shook my shoulders, not until the first star's light shone through the haze clouding my eyes and illuminated my senses again.

"You look green, Sensei... have you caught a cold?" - Ai's eyebrows were knitted. The soft sensation of the baby towel Ai was using made me realise how much I was sweating.

"I... Ai...?" - I pinched of my the skin in the middle of my forehead. - "Sorry... I don't know what came over me..."

A wave of dizziness washed over my head, forcing me to assume a recumbent form onto the soft cushions of the office sofa.

"Ugh...!"

"Sensei...?!"

Ai's delicate hand rest on my forehead and the other on hers.