We, Second

I woke up to a... moist, unpleasant feeling.

"... ew..."

I groaned at the newborn body I was given. It wasn't like I didn't appreciate that I got to live again, born to a beautiful person like Mama. I just... disliked the fact potty training had to wait a few more months and I would have to come to terms with usually waking up with full diapers until my body developed a bit more.

Today was one of those few times I woke up before Ruby. Yesterday night we snuck out of our cradles and into Mama's embrace inside her futon. Ruby was against the idea at first, but she soon joined me in the pure land of Amitabha. Mama was still young and a heavy sleeper, so I was glad we at least could take care of our own... potty business.

Now I was facing a conundrum. Do I just crawl to where Mama put our diapers and change mine on my own, or do I wake Ruby up and ask her to help? The gross feeling on my butt was getting worse by the minute and I really didn't want to resort to the third option that was encroaching on my mind: crying. That would wake Mama up, and she deserved her beauty sleep. I took a deep breath.

"... Aqua...?"

My older by 10 minutes twin sister woke up after I poked her right cheek a few times. She stretched up straight her right arm, with her left behind her head, exactly the same as how Mama usually did.

"Ruby, can you help me... uhhh..."

"Nnn..?" - big sis was still rubbing her eyes.

"... wipe my butt?"

Ruby looked at me, puffy eyelids and all, and smiled as if to say "Are you fucking kidding me now?" I pointed to our Mama, still drooling out of her mouth. And then it seemed Ruby also realised the dilemma her lower half caused her. It was to be expected to be honest, we're twins after all.

I'm pretty sure we never talked about it with each other, but we both knew Hoshino Ruby and Hoshino Aquamarine somehow still had recollections of their own past lives. I remembered missing out on a lot of family holidays. I understood that having me around put a great burden on my previous parents, so while I did miss them, I learned to cope with the loneliness. But how did I do that...?

Papa opened a new bag of diapers yesterday night before he tucked us in and left. I was curious about why though. Did he have to work overtime to provide for Mama and us? Did he and Mama have fights? Sure didn't seem like it though... Ruby pulled out a couple of nappies and I the wet tissues container. Since I was first one to wake, we agreed that I shall release my butt from its self-inflicted plight first. Ruby's face scrunched up from both the sight and the smell.

"I really rather Mama bought us some baby pots instead..." - Ruby pinched her nose as she looked for any blemished spot left.

"I know, right." - I nodded in agreement. - "Your turn, quickly!"

"No need to hurry me..."

Ruby's was soon also squeaky clean. Suddenly, Mama's alarm sounds rang out from her phone atop the cabinets.

"Mmm..." - Mama twisted and turned slightly under her blanket.

The phone was in a position too high for either of us to reach! And if we just left it be, the sound was just going to get louder by the second!

"Yabai...!" - a course of action was reached in both of our minds and we acted in unison.

We quickly rolled our soiled nappies along the used tissues and tied them up, tossed them into the bin and crawled back to our cradles as fast as these infant limbs could take us. As we were climbing up the railings, I saw the corner of the "alarming" phone slowly... vibrating its way out of the place Mama put it on.