Phony baloney 

Shigure sighed at his failed attempts of keeping Y/n in bed, she told him she'd rather clean the house than stay in bed and not do anything. She's quite stubborn.. He thought to himself as he wrote down some notes for his book on a small piece of paper with a red-inked pen. Y/n's fever had gone down, but the sluggish feeling never left her.

There she was, her hair was up in a messy bun. She was, sitting on her heels on the kitchen floor, scrubbing the tiles with a wet rag. She was somewhat of a germaphobe and when she noticed something on the floor, she began to clean it which led to cleaning everything. "We're home!" Yuki's voice was heard throughout the house. Y/n huffed, brought her wrist up to her forehead and wiped the sweat from it, and stood from her spot, throwing the rag in the sink, and walked into the hallway.

She found all three taking their shoes off. "Welcome home." She greets them with a bow. Tohru furrowed her brows in concern. "Y/n your supposed to be resting!" She says, rushing over to the girl and grabbed her by her shoulders.

Y/n hums and nods. "Yeah, but I was bored so I cleaned the kitchen." Y/n told the girl who was pushing her up the stairs. "Tohru~." The girl whined slightly in annoyance as she tried pushing herself away from the stairs but the opposing force of Tohru stopped her.

Yuki smiled at the girl's actions before walking to the living room. Kyo rolled his eyes and followed the rat.

"Shigure." Yuki greets.

Shigure smiled at the boy and leaned his head in his hand as he looked at the boy. "Ah, your back already?" His condescending eyes slid to the orange-haired boy behind him.

He noticed the slight bruise on Kyo's chin. "Hey, did you two get in a fight again?" His question went unanswered as Yuki walked into the kitchen for some water. Kyo sat on the porch in annoyance.

"I'm heading out! I'll be back soon." Tohru's voice was heard along with the slam of the door getting shut behind her.

Shigure hummed and set his red pen down. "Y'know if Y/n ever gets sick again, one of you is taking care of her." He says with a sigh. He couldn't handle her stubbornness.

It was worse than Kyo's. He turned to the grey-haired boy who stood with an unamused face. Suddenly a loud crack was heard causing them to jump. The weather was getting worse. Yuki's eyes widened and he quickly rushed out, dropping his bottle on the ground.

Shigure furrowed his brows with a frown. "It's getting ugly out there." He muttered as it began to drizzle.

"Where's Sohma?" Shigure jumped with a gasp as he turned to find Y/n standing with messy hair and reddened cheeks. "Wasn't Tohru bringing you upstairs?" Kyo asked with somewhat interest. She nods and sweatdrops. "Yeah.." She mumbles but quickly shook her head and asked again. "Where is Sohma?" She wanted to ask how the presentation went, but would rather do it in a quieter place.

She found it embarrassing that she was so worried about something so small but at the same time so important. "He went out back, I'm guessing," Shigure says as he side-eyed the girl. Kyo rolled his eyes. To him, she only seemed to care about Yuki and only Yuki.

"Thanks." She jogged out of the house and to the back, where she found a pathway that lead to a rather calm place. At the end of the path, she found Yuki huffing in annoyance as he tried holding the blue tarp over what seemed to be a garden. "Sohma!" She shouts, trying to get his attention as she ran down the muddy dirt. Yuki turned with a look of shock and his grip on the tarp loosened, the tarp flying around.

He let out a shout and tried keeping the tarp down. Y/n grabbed the other side of the tarp and held it down. "L/n, it's dangerous out here." He says with worry. Y/n blushed slightly. He cares so easily for others. She thought to herself. "This is nothing! Tohru and I once had to hold down the tent during the last typhoon!" She shouted, barely able to hear herself from the powerful wind. "Besides, I wanted to help." Yuki stared at the girl with adoration.

He always noticed how even though she hated talking to new people she still lent a hand to those who needed it. "Your a truly kind person." He mentioned, making her furrow her brows. "I wouldn't say kind. I just like helping out." She mumbles shyly as she tied the tarp down, and then moved to tie another knot. "You're better than me. I'm always a phony when it comes to being kind." He says making the girl stare at him with pursed lips. "You know, Tohru's mom once told us that it was always better to believe instead of doubt. She said human beings aren't born with kindness. That's something that only comes to us later. all we have at first are desires. For things like food and shelter." She remembered how she felt when Kyoko took her in. She was scared but also selfish.

She took advantage of her new life and was rude to those who were like her. "Just survival instincts. She said kindness is our hearts growing inside us. Growing like people-- at different rates, in different ways." She recalled the time when Kyoko witnessed her insulting some kids and when Kyoko had forced her to apologize and do twenty good deeds before coming home every day. "That's why one person's kindness might look different from another's. This may sound strange, but your kindness reminds me of a candle." She watched as his brows raised and his eyes widened. "It lights up. When it does, I can't help but feel happy at the warmth it gives off." Y/n began to feel her lips upturn into a smile, and her nose scrunch up. "There's nothing phony about it."

Y/n then sweatdropped and awkwardly cleared her throat. "Sorry, I didn't mean to ramble." She says and finished her last knot as he finished hammering a stake into the ground. "Don't be, I like when you ramble. It shows me that you are comfortable around me." He says and smiled a genuine smile. Her eyes widened, she had never seen such a beautiful smile. She felt happy, happier than usual. She shrugged it off at the probability of it being that this was the first time she saw a real smile on him.

"Yuki."

He tilted his head slightly with a questioning look. "Yes?"

"I'm glad we're friends." She told him.

She watched as he winced slightly but nodded. "Same."

Y/n rubbed the sweat and rain from her forehead with the back of her wrist as she stared down at the healthy plants. Yuki held the folded tarp in his arms. "Are there any vegetables ready to harvest?" She asked and held the stakes in her left hand. Yuki thought for a second. "Well, the chives might be." He said, walking over to the plant. "Hm, I don't think I've had chives before." She says as she stood behind him. He crouched down and pulled the chives up. "They're pretty good." He mutters. Y/n watched as he carefully harvests the plants. "You really like gardening, huh?" She asks with a smile. The boy turned to her, his left hand filled with chives while his right held the tarp. "L/n." He began with a nervous look on his face.

"Yes?"

"Can you teach me how to play Rich Man-Poor Man?"

Y/n nodded as she gasps in delight. She loved Rich Man-Poor Man. She wasn't as good as Uotani and Hanajima but she was good.

Yuki's eyes widen as she sneezed. "Let's get you inside." He says, his voice laced with worry. Y/n sweatdropped and chuckled.

She completely forgot about the presentation from earlier but she knew she could ask later.