The Fate of Billy Batson

“Billy, you’re coming home with me,” Batman knelt before the boy, his gentleness shocking Billy.

“Billy, we are family,” Wonder Woman ran her hand through his hair. Her motherly warmth enveloped him.

“Billy, I can offer you a real, down to earth childhood at a farm in Kansas, in a loving family and three square meals every day, cooked at home with lots of love,” Superman wrapped his arms around the boy with surprising gentleness.

When nine year old Billy Batson revealed  his secret, he expected to get kicked out of the Justice League. He was pretty sure the Justice League wouldn’t want a child on the team. Having prepared his heart for that eventuality, this was totally unexpected!

The Big Three fighting among themselves to adopt him?!?! 

Billy Batson?

The kid no one wanted?

His cheeks felt hot, his heart, warm and fuzzy. Hot tears stung his eyes.
Uncle Eben threw him out. Strangers screwed their noses in disgust when he came near. Yet the World’s Greatest Heroes wanted him in their homes?

Superman’s eyes glowed red.

Wonder Woman reached for her sword.
Batman inserted himself between the pair. Glowering at both of them, he held up his hands. “We’ll discuss this in the Watchtower.”

He turned and glared at the rest of the Justice League. “You too,” he growled. “Be at your seats in an hour.”

Kneeling before Billy, his voice softened. “You’ll join us as Captain Marvel.”

*******
The air in the meeting room was electrifying

*******

The air in the meeting room was electrifying. Barry could barely breathe. Lightning danced around Captain Marvel’s massive form as he took his seat. He’d never seen the big guy flinch in battle, yet here was Marvel, a big red bundle of nerves.

“As you all witnessed, Captain Marvel has revealed himself to be a seven year old boy,” Batman took the floor.

“Ten,” a deep baritone voice interrupted Batman. “I’ll be ten years old in two months time.”

It sounded so wrong. This had to be a joke, but the faces around him were serious.

“We let a ten year old child into the Justice League,” Guy Gardner snorted.

“He’s more mature than you,” Batman stated. “As Captain Marvel, he has the body and mind of an adult.”

“What we do is not safe for a child,” Black Canary frowned. “We have Teen Titans...”

“Members of the Teen Titans have to be at least thirteen years old,” Batman pointed out.

“And the Justice League does not have an age limit?” Black Canary looked incredulous.

“Our roster includes aliens and beings who do not age like Earth-born humans,” Batman replied.

“Children should be kept safe, not thrown into danger,” Black Canary looked at her own clenched fists. More than a few Leaguers agreed with her stand.

“With all due respect,” Captain Marvel’s voice rumbled. The man exuded power.

“I’m safer than most of you in battle.” Lightning danced in his eyes while his gaze swept around the table. “When Superman is out of control, who do you guys send to take him down?”

That silenced the murmurs around the table.

“Should Captain Marvel remain a full member of the Justice League? Please enter your vote now,” Batman took his seat.

Barry looked at the hero in question. The purported ten year old boy who towered over all of them. He was ridiculously muscular and radiated power. This guy went toe to toe with Superman. With Despero. Electricity sizzled around him.

Should he remain in the Justice League?

That was a dumb question.

Barry voted yes.

The screen that took up an entire wall of the meeting room showed the vote count. The decision was unanimous.

“Captain Marvel remains a full fledged member of the Justice League,” announced Batman.

“Marvel, power down now.” Was that a fatherly smile on Batman’s face?

The Herculean man stood up. He took a deep breath. Gazing at his feet, he whispered a word.

Thunder roared. Blinding lightning struck him in response.

Barry looked away.

When the light faded, Barry stared at the tiny boy who stood in the big man’s place. He had Cap’s brilliant blue eyes and dimpled smile. The stench of urine, cigarette smoke and rats overpowered his senses, causing him to gag. “What?!”
In the closed meeting room, the smell was impossible to ignore. The cute little boy stared his feet as if afraid he’d dirty his pristine surroundings. He looked self-conscious.

“Next item on the agenda. Who will adopt Billy BAT-SON,” Batman emphasized the words “bat” and “son”. He stared down both Wonder Woman and Superman.

“Dinah and I would be more than happy to adopt that adorable tyke,” smirked Oliver.

Daggers in their eyes, Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman stared down the archer.

“Okay, I won’t fight you guys for custody over him,” Green Arrow raised his hands placating. “But shouldn’t Billy have a say in this?”

The fragile little boy gave Green Arrow a sunny, dimpled smile. Captain Marvel’s smile. Barry couldn’t wrap his head around this.

“Isn’t anyone going to explain how this is even possible?” Barry flung his arms like a madman.

“A wizard did this,” the tiny boy replied like it was the most logical thing in the world.

“Son, I need to talk to that wizard of yours,” Superman clenched his fist, though his voice remained steady. Gentle.

“You can’t . He’s dead,” the boy stared at the table. “He turned to dust right after changing me into Captain Marvel.”

“Hold on, Superman,” Batman’s intimidation factor jumped tenfold. “He’s not your son.”

“Yet.” Superman crossed his arms, meeting Batman’s glare with one of his own.

“Guys, why don’t you let the kid spend a week with each of you. Then let him decide whether he wants to let any of you adopt him?” Green Arrow raised his hands in a placating gesture.

“Please do that,” implored little Billy Batson.

“A week with each of us,” Batman relented. “First week with me, second week with Superman, the third week with Wonder Woman. Then Billy decides.”