07

[VII] Missing Marquess

"Excuse me?" Lily said politely to the lady behind the desk

The lady looked at her, judging her from her attire, head to toe. Luckily, she already changed her clothes to a more suitable for young woman.

"I need a room to stay." She requested. "I'll pay for handsomely if you give me the finest room here."

"Very well, follow me." She said, grabbing the keys and leading the way to the room.

The place looks nice. It has a seating area for four people, a fireplace, a dining, a small kitchen, and a comfortable bed for two.

Lily refused to unpack her things, in case of emergency. She doesn't want to waist her precious time packing rather than escaping.

She grabbed her own pen and parchment. Lily set her inks to the desk. She started writing.

After finding a suitable place to stay on the course of her trip, she started to venture out more to the streets

After finding a suitable place to stay on the course of her trip, she started to venture out more to the streets. Lily couldn't help to feel worried.

The missing posters of Viscount Tewkesbury Marquess of Basilwether are over the place, it's like the posters are finding her.

She entered a post office, to send the letter she wrote earlier. A newspaper caught her attention. A familiar picture of boy she knows all to well in the cover.

"He seems to be the talk of the town." Lily said to the worker, while she handed her letter.

"Well, he's a blooming marquess." He points out.

Lily just bit her lips, trying to stop her smile. She payed the worker for his service before leaving the building.

It was a surprise her parents has not done the same, start a search party. Lily knows her parents would not ask for other's help without trying being on their own.

While walking to an alleyway, she was snatched by her shoulder. Her eyes widen. She's confused whether it's her family or someone who saw her with the marquess.

The man who's pulling her, put her head in a headlock. It restricted her movement and her breathing. She started trying to fight him, throwing kicks and elbowing him.

"Let go of me!" She yelled, while kicking him hard enough for him to let her go.

She quickly turned towards the man's direction. He was familiar, too familiar. Lily squinted her eyes, trying to decipher the man's next move.

He was the man in the train, the one who attempted to kill Nicholas. The girl is worried about being the man's next target. She was panting, but that doesn't matter, his move does.

The man began to throw punches at her that she successfully avoided. While his arm is extended, she grabbed it and twisted it behind his own body. The man groaned in pain.

Lily reached for the knife she's hiding her boot. She threateningly place the blade near his throat, applying a little pressure.

"Who sent you?" She questioned.

"Where's the boy?" The man asked back. He was struggling to move, scared to slash his own throat.

"What boy?" She acts foolishly. She doesn't want to endanger his life again. He's all alone out there.

"Don't act dumb, princess." He says with gritted teeth. "Where is the marquess?!" He yelled.

"Dead." Lily lied. "After we jumped the train, he landed the wrong way." She added, feeding him all the lies.

"Prove it." He challenges her.

"I cannot prove you something so traumatic for the both of us." She said. The man is moving, trying to escape her grasp. She applied more pressure to the blade to make it harder for him. "His bones and flesh are all over the place."

"I don't believe you." He said.

"Then don't, but stay away from me." Lily said, pulling on his hair. "I know powerful people that could easily demolish you, your house, your job, your fortune, and... your family."

Lily pushed the man as hard as she can, resulting the man to land on the ground. She quickly found herself running away from the alleyway.

She looked behind her and saw the bowler man running after her. She crossed the streets before series of carriage started coming.

Lily sent the man a teasing smile before vanishing in his vision. She has a close call with death and she managed to escape it.

"I got to find Nicholas." She mumbled to herself as she tighten her hold to the carriage she's currently hanging on.