chapter eight: fall of '79

Dark clouds hung in the sky, embodying the storm of emotions bubbling inside of her. Daniella couldn't believe this was actually happening. The past few weeks had felt more like a fever dream than any plausible reality, and all she could truly could feel deep in her core was empty. Nothing felt real to her anymore.

Wally's parents had made sure that he was dressed appropriately for the dismal occasion. A black button up shirt covered with a black suit jacket, black slacks, suspenders and a matching dark tie. He wouldn't know what he would've worn otherwise as he's never done this before, but his wardrobe was the last thing on his mind that day.

He had walked over to his neighbors home with sorrow and unease as he didn't know how to approach the situation. He made a short knock on the door to be greeted by Richard, Danny's older brother. They just stared at each other for a moment before Wally moved to pull the man he has practically grown up with into a hug. No words had to be exchanged between them for the boy's condolences to be understood. As they pulled away, Richard sniffled as he pinched his nose shortly and blinked away his tears. Shutting the front door, Richard spoke up, "you know where to find her." The same place she had been holed up into her like she had been the past few days; her room.

With a deep breath, Wally lightly knocked on the half opened bedroom door that belonged to his best friend before stepping inside. "Hey," he greeted gently as he entered her room, a feeling of utter hopelessness falling over him as he looked around the room. The first thing he noticed was the fact that her room was a wreck, something not at all like the girl he knew so well. Dirty dishes were piled up on her desk, clothes strewn all over the floor and an unmade bed. The unmade bed served as her solace recently and currently housed her sitting position. Daniella was hard to miss, perched on her bed with a blank look on her face as her all black outfit contrasted sickeningly nicely with her fair skin. She turned her head away from the dead stare she held onto her desk to look at him, and the second her eyes met his was when the dam broke, bawling her eyes out. He was at her side immediately, taking a spot on the bed and pulling her into a tight hug. "I'm so sorry, sweetheart," he whispered, not knowing what else to do or say.

Today was the 29th of November, 1979. The day her mother was to be buried. She had been struggling with cancer for years, and Daniella had only found out in September as her final year of middle school was beginning. The real reason her family had moved here was so that her mother could get better treatment here. This whole time her younger self was upset over the fact that it was over something stupid like her father's new job, but that was never even true. Her mother was suffering in silence, with a smile on her face so her little girl was none the wiser. Clearly, the almost ten years of treatment her mother had went through didn't take.

"She's gone," she whimpered into her best friend's shoulder, "she's fucking gone, Wally." He whispered apologies and condolences in her ear as he held her and cradled the back of her head while his own tears began to fall. Her mother was an amazing woman, practically his second mom with how many times he came and spent the night here. The fact that he would never see her again hurt, but not as much as her only daughter was hurting. 

Shuffling footsteps were heard at her door, causing the pair to look towards the door. There stood her brother with bloodshot eyes, a tired yet sad look on his face. "Um, it's- it's time to go," he forced the words out, gripping the door handle like it was his lifeline. Brushing the tears off her cheeks, she nodded, and he took that as his cue to leave.

"I can't do this," she whispered, pushing her against Wally's shoulder with her eyes closed. The smell of his cologne served as something to ground her as she pulled him into a hug, throwing her arms around his neck.

The entire service, Wally stood by her side with her family, her hand gripped tightly in his out of support. Every word spoken about her mother was another stab at her heart, each phrase reminding Daniella that she'll never be able to see her again. All she'd have for the rest of her life were just glimpses of memories with her. She wouldn't see her daughter graduate, get married or meet her grandchildren. 

Like a scene from a sad movie, the rain started to slowly fall and taint the flowers of her mother's casket. It was a daunting sight to see. Daniella hadn't even noticed that Wally had held an umbrella above them, too overwelled with everything going on. She leaned against him lightly as the light mascara she had on was washed away by her tears.

That night, she didn't feel like eating dinner, not that anyone else in this house had an appetite for it. She laid in her bed with dried tears, running mascara and blotchy red skin, her cheek pressed against Wally's chest as the both of them just looked up at the ceiling above them. He had his arm wrapped around her, rubbing the side of her arm up and down soothingly. Not a second that day had he left her side, and he wouldn't have unless she asked which was a thought that not once had crossed her mind.

The white ceiling of her bedroom was covered in black stickers and tape in the form of constellations, something her mother had done for her when she had first moved in. Now, the ceiling and the stars served as a piece of her mom for whenever she needed her.

There were no words spoken between the two teenagers. There were none needed to be said by either of them. His presence was enough to ease even an ounce of the pain she had felt that day. He was enough for her.