chapter sixteen

With swift and meticulous adjustments, Daniella was able to skillfully transform the sparkly blue dress she found with Rhonda and Maddie into the almost perfect image of her dress from 1983. By no means was it intentional, she just subconsciously altered the fabric to replicate her old dress. Though the memories of that Homecoming night remained as an almost haunting presence within her life, she harbored a glimmering hope that the dance tonight would serve as a redemption of solace and reprieve from the echoes of the past.

Being only vaguely familiar with styling hair during the span of her afterlife, she opted to preserve the relatively untamed beauty of her natural hair, cherishing the luscious curls while attempting to tame the fly aways. She believed that its grace was the most enticing form her hair could take, radiating authenticity and its timeless charm.

Enhanced by the delicate shimmer of her silver jewelry and the comfort of her everyday converse, she painted vivid hues and sparkles upon her lids the best that she could, courtesy of the theater department's makeup supply, in order to add an enchanting touch. Homecoming for the spirits of Split River would have been even more dismal without the booming theater program the school had to offer.

Letting out a shaky breath, she cast a glance at the clock to discover that the dance had begun half an hour ago. With a sudden surge of urgency, she did her best to sprint towards the school in the least awkward way possible, hoping that Wally was going to be late. She sighed at the realization that he had yet to arrive, so her steps had slowed.

Stepping out into the crisp embrace of the autumn air, Daniella inhaled deeply as the chill kissing her skin coaxed a cascade of goosebumps along her arms. The distant sound of a revving engine steadily grew louder, drawing her attention with excitement. As her gaze shifted, a radiant smile illuminated her features at the sight of Wally approaching in one of the school's golf carts.

His appearance was nothing short of extraordinary, his usually tousled hair now slightly more meticulously groomed with the sharp darkness of his attire accentuating his presence. As he emerged from the now parked golf cart, Daniella was finally able to see the sleek black suit adorned with a tastefully white bowtie. Butterflies ran rapidly within her as she reveled in the idea that this was precisely how he would have looked in their era of the eighties, an embodiment of effortless charm that he always seems to carry himself with.

As their eyes met, a spark ignited across his own features, illuminating the depths of his being. A rush surged through his veins at the sight of her in the blue dress as his heart felt like it would beat out of his chest which he knew was a figment of his imagination. He was struck with awe as they approached one another, his jaw slackening subtly as he took in the sight before him. The love of his life was there because of him, draped in a replica of the very dress she had worn to her first and final homecoming during her high school career. Overwhelmed by the flood of emotions coursing through him, he stammered, unable to contain his astonishment. "Y-Your dress," he managed to utter, a tremor lacing his voice as he pointed at the shimmering blue fabric. "It looks just like the one from-" he abruptly cut himself off knowing that the words didn't have to be spoken as they both understood that no words were necessary to elicit the significance of the moment.

Daniella's gaze lowered, her fingers delicately tracing the blue tulle additions she incorporated at the dress's hem. A bashful smile graced her lips, "y-yeah. I didn't even mean to. Just...sort of happened."

His words faltered as he attempted to articulate the overwhelming admiration that consumed him. "You look-you look. I mean, wow," he released an embarrassed chuckle at his inability to form a coherent thought due to the breathtaking beauty. "Thanks, Wally. You don't look too bad yourself," a delicate warmth tinted her cheeks, her lips curving into a tender smile as her gaze fell upon a food tray resting upon the passenger seat of the golf cart. "What's that?" She questioned while pointing behind him.