chapter nine

Mr. Martin was trying desperately to get the students to come up with fun ideas for this upcoming weekend. From where Daniella was sitting, a BBQ, trivia or karaoke night did not sound like her idea of fun for the weekend, but she'd participate if they ended up hosting one of those options. As usual, she was sat in a chain right next to Wally in the gym with his seat turned around so he could lean his chest onto the back of the chair. Her eyes kept finding their way shamefully to him due to how attractive he looked sitting like that. Charlie caught her staring as she quickly diverted her gaze back to Mr. M, causing the denim clad teen to smirk knowingly.

Wally and Daniella turned to one another with disappointed looks on their faces, as he shook his head lightly at Mr. M's pathetic attempt at a pun that no one found amusing other than himself.

Before he could rectify his little joke, Maddie burst into gym, quickly taking the seat to the left of Wally as Mr. Martin greeted her, giving her the run down of what they were doing for 'weekend fun.'

"I'll tell you what I wanna do," she said with determination and haste, "I wanna figure out why Mr. Anderson was talking to someone on his about giving me money last night." Daniella's eyes widened at the new development of the Maddie murder mystery story.

Mr. Martin stood there awkwardly chalk in hand,  "okay. I'm not sure how to board that, but-" Nobody was interested in the board and their plans anymore, so Wally took the opportunity to interrupt. "Wait, who was he talking to?" He questioned, turning to Maddie. She just shrugged, "that's what I'm trying to figure out." This entire situation was frustrating to her, and it was extremely apparent that it was bothering her.

"Did he give you money?" Daniella asked, trying to piece together all of the new information the best that she could. "No- I," she sighed defeated, "look, I don't know."

"That's what I'm trying to figure out," she continued "so, I need to know if anyone here has seen anything." Silence followed her request as she looked around at each member who didn't hold any piece of information. "Seriously? All we do is haunt the halls of this stupid school," she spoke agitated, "and none of you have seen anything suspicious from Anderson?"

"Oh, well, okay," Wally piped up piquing everyone's interest. "Well, one time," he turned his whole body towards Maddie this time, "I saw Mr. Anderson misspell the word "fundraiser" on a Boosters Club poster, and I-I he forgot the D."

Danny pinched her lips together at the ridiculous revelation he seemed to come up with. "I feel like that's pretty suspicious coming from an English teacher," he spoke as if he had solved Maddie's murder.

"Wally," Danny sighed, putting her face in her hand while shaking her head disappointed. "I'm pretty sure that was a pun?" Charlie stated, speaking to Wally dumbly, "So, I'm assuming he probably did that on purpose." His words seemed to change Wally's entire perspective on life as he realized Charlie was most definitely right.

"Sorry, sweets," Rhonda pitched in, "we don't just stand around staring at the living all day."

"No," Maddie responded bitterly, "you plan weekend fun like movie nights." Mr. Martin interrupted, quick to defend his actions, "well, we do what we can to break up the monotony, Maddie. That's all." Charlie interjected with the words everyone was probably thinking for the last few decades, "if I may, to be fair, watching the same five sports movies over and over again is kind of monotonous, Mr. Martin."

"Maybe we could watch a different movie that isn't about sports?" Danny sweetly suggested, not being the biggest fan of the vibes that were created. Wally scoffed at Danny, looking between her and Charlie almost offended, "I thought you guys loved Rudy."

"No," Charlie replied with disgust, wondering where he could've possibly gotten that idea from. "Wow. Just- wo- I can't even," Wally responded, covering his mouth in his hand before turning to Danny. He shook his head at the girl,