chapter eleven

Clouded by the moments he just endured; Wally had felt like he had been searching for his best friend for hours around the school. He had cooled down a lot since he began looking for her, but his mind was overrun with the feeling of betrayal brought by Daniella.

As if a flip switched, he realized where she must be. "God, I'm such an idiot," he muttered to no one in particular as he made his way to the stairwell that would lead to the only place, she could reasonable be. It was the first place he should've looked, but his judgement was blurred.

He opened the door to the roof, turning to see her back towards him as her legs dangled off the edge facing the front of the school. She heard movement behind her but didn't feel the need to turn around because she knew who was there. Hir arrival was anticipated here sooner or later.

Like he has done countless times before, he walked across the roof, jumping to sit on the edge of it next to Daniella while swinging his legs to the side so that they could hang off the ledge. An air of profound silence hung between the two, unbroken by even the slightest of utterance, unless you counted the breeze rustling the leaves of the nearby shrubbery.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Wally's voice shattered the hush, "we tell each other everything." Daniella looked at the clouds that littered the sky rather than at her companion. "It wasn't my secret to tell," she solemnly answered as she kicked her feet against the wall.

Wally sighed, knowing that she was right. It wasn't her place to air out someone else's dirty laundry, but he still felt upset about the deception coming from Maddie, Charlie and Daniella combined. "I shouldn't have lashed out on you earlier," he apologized sincerely with a softened gaze, moving so that only one of his legs hung off the edge as he pulled his other calf closer to his groin on the ledge. "Especially knowing everything you've been through,"

She closed her eyes momentarily before looking down at her swinging legs tying to form the right words to say, "it's crazy that even after all this time, things like yelling and watching students almost die still gets to me." Letting out a dry scoff, she shook her head, "it's fucking pathetic and repetitive." Before Wally could dispute her words, she continued voicing her thoughts. "You were right to be angry though. This is a huge deal. Kinda changes how things are, and I shouldn't have kept it from you. I'm sorry," the sincerity in her voice was clear as she still refused to return his gaze.

"But you had to," he leaned forward towards her slightly, "it was the right thing to do." Daniella let out a short sigh before speaking up. "Yeah," she mumbled thoughtlessly, "I guess you're right."

The silence seemed to have returned between them, neither of the pair knowing what to say next. Wally's eyes saw how the streaks of her dried tears glistened in the sun, causing her to grip her cheek gently to turn her face towards his. "I've gotta stop seeing you like this," he spoke softly, doing his best to brush heartbreaking marks away with his thumb.

"Some things never change in life or in death," she gave a fragile smile before shrugging, "I just get overwhelmed, or triggered, easy."

"Trust me, I know," he raised his brows as he rolled his eyes dramatically to emphasize the joking manner of his words. Daniella's smile brightened slightly, glad that the dejected moment had finally passed.

Wally turned in order to hop off the ledge, his Nike's slamming against the roof. "Wanna go watch that Simon kid?" He questioned, holding out a hand to help her jump town as well in which she graciously took before they made their way back down the halls of the school they seem to haunt.

They roamed the halls looking for Maddie's friend, only to find him leaning against some lockers with a watchful eye on the door that housed Mr. Anderson and a couple of police officers. "That's him!" Wally expressed wondrously glad to have finally found the boy.