chapter seven

The field already looked like a wreck and the day had only just begin. Daniella sat behind the football equipment on the small set of bleachers, watching as Charlie stabbed at the foam repeatedly to let out all of his frustrations, most of which dealt with his  mistakes made with a certain Hispanic teacher at the school. Someone walked between them, playing with a fire extinguisher which brought a smile to her face. 

It seemed as though everyone was having a good time, which made Danny feel pretty content. There was no reason to destroy things and wreak havoc for her right now. Her eyes fell behind the boy dressed in football gear to the golf cart that just hit a tower of water coolers as she leaned to rest her forearms on her thighs. She could see, and especially hear, Wally ran out of the golf cart stripping away his clothes while hollering as Maddie watched in horror. Giggling as he swung his shirt around about his head, Danny could only imagine the frustration Maddie must have felt right now. 

Sudden huffs of excretion drew her attention back to Charlie, who had ripped the dummy opposing playing from the metal it game attached to off and began to stab at it repeatedly. Her brows were raised, mouth agape at the scene unfolding, chuckling lightly at the sight. Usually everyone was pretty reckless during field day, but somehow Danny had never seen this side of him.  

"Danny!" She turned to look at to the field behind Charlie, watching as Wally jogged over to her with his soaking wet shirt pulled back onto his torso. Standing up and walking down the bleacher with her converse making squeaks as she did so soon before she was pulled into a bear hug by her best friend, his body still overflowing with adrenaline. He was slightly out of breath from running over to the pair, and his damp shirt felt uncomfortable against her, but she didn't really mind. "Made quite a splash there, Clark," she chuckled, looking upwards with her chin pressed against his chest. He looked down at her with his big bright white smile, "that was all Maddie. I just gave her a little push."

They pulled away from one another in order to continue their conversation properly. Danny looked at him expectantly with a brow raised and crossed arms. "Okay, I totally stepped on the gas, but the steering was all her. Well, sort of, but that's not the point," he declared with a smile, putting his hands on his hips as he spoke. He looked down at her thin white shirt that was slightly covered with his old dark jacket, seeing parts light material now slightly see through as the water from his shirt transferred onto hers.

"Oh, shit. Sorry, I got you wet," as soon as the words left him, he covered his mouth with his hand as he realized what he had said. Danny's cheeks turned a deep red at his words as she dropped her arms to her side with panic immediately crossing Wally's features. "I-I mean your shirt. I got your-" he stumbled over his words before sighing, pinching the bridge of his nose with a hand still propped onto his hip. "Yo-you know what I mean."

She chuckled awkwardly, not knowing what else to do other than nod and look down at her shirt. To be fair, it was a little wet, but not enough for her to be bothered by it. 

Looking at the sky, Wally began nodding his head, "right. Okay. Uh- I'm gonna go show Maddie the ropes." He began backing away slowly to both escape this situation and go to where he came from across the field. "Great job,  Charlie!" He called out pointing to his ghost peer with Charlie waving him off goodbye. "I'll see you later, Danny," he awkwardly smiled, turning around to lightly jog back to the new blonde. 

Charlie and Danny shared a blatantly blank stare before he finally spoke up, the red pole still in his hand with his head covered in a football helmet. "Sorry, I got you wet?" He repeated slowly, laughing while asking the question once Wally was officially out of earshot. "I-I don't even know what to say," she spoke, putting a hand to her mouth while watching the jock retreat.