Chapter 50 | Promise Me The End

Francesca's point of view

I tied my hair up in a bun and put on my coat before grabbing charts and hedging downstairs. The halls in the hospital were noisy as always. Nurses and doctors running around to make sure they can go home with a clear conscience. I was happy to be back to work officially. It was my personal escape. I thank my father, since the workaholic trait me and Giovanni got were from him. He would stay in office for days and never come out until a project was done.

As the elevator opened on the first floor, I took a deep breath and walked over to the crowded emergency side, where all the patients sat waiting to be treated. I pulled back the curtain on a brand new older lady who asked for me specifically. She was in the bed with her arm stretched over to hold her son's hand next to her. "Ms.Greene, how are you today?" I said looking through her chart. "She's been better." He said looking nervous, I only smiled and walked over to her bedside. "Well let's see what mom has to say." I told him before looking over to her. She frowned and pulled in his hand kissing it. "Dr. Romano, this is my fiance, we get married next week."

I looked over at him and back to her before apologizing. "You apologize yet you look like you've seen a ghost. It's okay, yes I am old enough to be his grandmother." He smiled proudly as he only held her hand tighter. I shook my head and disregarded the conversation. "So Ms.Greene what's the problem for today?" She lifted her hand to the back of her neck and let out a soft painful moan. "I've had this headache for two years. At first it was on and off but now it's unhinged. I've been to one doctor before and he recommended me to you." I looked through her chart again and didn't see anything about a recommendation. "Who was the doctor and did he say what was causing the pain?"

"Dr .Cash and he said it was Sjaastad syndrome." Dr. Cash was a good friend of mine, way older but had less experience and would always send over clients. Sjaastad syndrome sounded very familiar but I couldn't remember exactly. "Okay, Mrs. and Mr..?" I said looking over to him. "Mr. Greene, I'm taking Ruby's last name." He smiled at her. "Yes well, I'll have someone bring you over for some scans and then I'll be back with you." I walked out with the charts and went to a different side of the room pulling back another curtain to see a young girl holding a baby.

"Hi, I'm doctor Romano, where's mom?" I asked the young girl. "Right here." She looked tired and drained as she looked up to me. I looked down at the chart to see the patient was the baby girl. "Zena is a beautiful name, Ms. Zuri Riuz." I said walking over to see the baby. "What brings you in?" I picked up the baby from her arms and she laid back in the bed rubbing her eyes. She started laughing in my arms, and I smiled until she didn't stop. "She doesn't stop laughing. Instead of crying she laughs, I think she's mocking me but my boyfriend says there's something wrong with her."

Zena calmed down for two minutes before starting to laugh again. "Hypothalamic Hamartoma." I whispered. "Why do you look so worried?" She sat up and looked at me with terror. "Because the surgery for this only has a 35 percent survival rate for a baby at her age." Zuri scoffed and took the baby out of my hands. "So what? Either you tell me you'll save her or I'll go to someone who can." Her face turned pale as Zena laughed again in her hands. Talk about bad timing. "One of my doctors will come and move you guys to another room in a moment, okay. Don't worry." I walked out and pulled back the curtain. I sighed before walking to the elevator. I held both charts close to my chest as I watched the numbers rise and the elevator keep a steady pace.