5. A birthday went well

For one second, I thought to just visit her office but then I realised that the school hours are over. I can't visit her now. I should have visited during the school hours. She must be busy too now.

I averted my mind from her and went out of the school.

I reached home and my mom was not there. Phew! Thanks God! I just can't see her here anymore.

I quickly changed freshened up and slept without having my lunch. I just don't want to have lunch now. I can't focus on my lunch if I start eating after all the mess I made.

I averted my mind from all these thoughts and slept.

....

When I woke up, I saw that the room looked dark. Oh no! It's late now. I checked my phone and it was 6:58 pm. I slept for this long??

I immediately got up and went inside the washroom to freshen up. I came after 2 mins and my stomach was hurting so much.

I haven't eaten anything since so long. I went out of my room and went towards the kitchen. I noticed that my mom was still not at home. Thank god! I don't want her to return home anytime soon. It would be better if she just stays out. This is my last birthday as a child. I am 17 this year. I don't want to ruin my last birthday as a child.

I started cooking pasta for myself. I love cooking. Most of the time, mom's not home so I am bound to cook something for myself and everyday I can't live eating a Maggie only. I have to cook some different dishes.

I cooked some pasta and opened the fridge to find something interesting. I then saw a pudding. Oh shit!! I left this pudding here early this morning. I forgot to take it out.

I immediately took it out. I was not expecting it to be perfect since in that website, they advised to keep it for 4-5 hours only.

I placed it on a plate and was about to take out the glass. Please be perfect!! I took the glass out and the pudding juggled.

It looked so satisfying. I didn't expect it to be this good. I finished off everything and washed the dishes. I then sat on my study table to prepare for my test.

After solving some equations, the door Bell rang. I checked the time and it was 7:30 pm. Who would be here at this hour? Definitely not my mom. She would have the spare key and would directly get in.

I closed my books and went towards the gate. The doorbell rang again. I opened the gate and a loud noise annoyed me.

"Happy Birthday!!!!!" My friends were here. Even Shaurya was standing there with a smile on his face.

"Y'all knew my birthday?" I asked them.

"Yes dummy! You have it mentioned in our information board. On top of that, you have a Facebook account as well." They reminded me.

"But I deleted my Facebook account long back." I said.

"You deleted Facebook!! Not the account. From next time onwards, learn to delete your account as well if you no longer wanna use it." They said and I just hummed.

We became silent for some time and Shaurya came forward. We both were staring at each other awkwardly. Just then, he laughed and hugged me tightly. All my other friends laughed with him. I also gave in to my stress and joined them all.

They had bought a cake for. I think it is the first time after so many years that I am cutting a cake on my birthday. As far as I remember, the last time I cut a cake, was when I was 4 yo. Ever since that, I never ate any cake on my birthday.

I cut the cake and we all ate it. We celebrated it by playing some games. I used to play games like these back in lockdown with my homies. Now, I don't but today since we all gathered here, we played.

I made ramen and rice cakes for everyone. It was around 9:00 pm now. Mom would be here by any moment.

"Guys! I think it's late. Y'all should leave now." I said.

"Now? But we planned to stay the night." They insisted.

"No! I have a test tomorrow. I have to study." I argued.

"Study? Are you high on something? Who studies on their birthday?" Shaurya said and everyone laughed.

"Com'on! I have to study! I just can't stay like this. I am worried about my test." I said and made a serious experience. They all went silent.

"Ok fine! Are you coming to school tomorrow?" They asked me.

"Of course dummy! We have our physics practical." I said.

We hugged each other and they went away saying a final goodbye and wishing me a birthday for the last time.

I smiled; this is my best birthday so far. Mom not being here made this even better.

I smiled and went back to study. It was 11:50 pm. I haven't gone out of my room ever since I sat here. I don't even know if mom is home or not but it doesn't matter to me.

Slowly, I dozed off to sleep.

.....

Hey! Today's update is out.

The next chapter will be uploaded soon.

Till then, take care and stay safe!!!