[05]

♣ ♣ ♣
November 2011, NYC

THE FIRST TIME IT HAPPENS is November 2nd, 2011

THE FIRST TIME IT HAPPENS is November 2nd, 2011. Her lip trembles, and her eyes water - though she doesn't cry, because the Red Widow never does. The horrific, traumatised gaze breaking through her eyes for the first time, shattered his heart.

She stayed over that night, that doesn't happen often. Steve insisted he slept on his couch, so Anastasia could take his bed.

Normally, she would've refused. She would've stayed out until Steve dropped his gentlemen-outer and she would've slept on the couch.

But the Red Widow is exhausted.

Between paperwork at SHIELD, starting her intense trainings to get into shape again, training SHIELD agents and being with Steve the remaining time, she hasn't had much sleep.

Not that she has to be with Steve, he insists he's be fine on his own. But it's her assignment and she's following it.

And also she... wants to spend time with him.

And that leads to the - how Anastasia would describe it - crucifying situation that is happening right now.

''Stacia.''

His voice is soft, nearly inaudible, but, of course, it still manages to wake Anastasia up.

He towers over her, and she shoots up in shock. She takes note of her tangled hair, her shaking hands and sweaty forehead.

She had a nightmare.

The Red Widow gets nightmares a lot. But even when asleep, she still manages to cover up her feelings. Anastasia simply acts like she's having just another peaceful sleep.

But she recently started developing the very bad habit of letting her guard down when she was around Steve, and that also ment in her sleep.

''Stacia.'' He whispers again, until her eyes snap open.

''You were screaming and when I came to check on you, you didn't answer. So I- uh- I walked in and you were shaking, and...'' Steve stressfully rambles on, his voice still soft as Anastasia tries to come to her senses.

''Oh,'' She whispers, burying her face in her hand as all the horrible memories of the mess that is her past come back to her.

''I'm sorry.'' Is the first full sentence Anastasia says, tears nearly spilling from her eyes.

The Red Widow looks up, and she expected Steve to look down at her with either meaningless pity, or fear.

But her heart jumps in her chest when all she sees in his eyes is respect, respect and genuine sorrow. For her.

''Don't apologise.'' Rogers whispers. ''I get them too.''

For the first time, she feels like the walls she had build up are really, really crumbling down.