Chapter Twenty Four

He was quiet during the drive back- she didn't mind it, she knew he would talk to her when he was ready.

Ruby already knew the pogues would be pissed about how much time they took, so she was already forming a lie in her head, JJ didn't need to go through this right now.

So when they parked and got out she already knew what she was going to say- only she wasn't expecting a story about how her brother had been bitten by a gator while they were gone.

And then all hell broke lose, everyone just screaming at each other, making Ruby cover her ears as she became overstimulated.

But they all paused as JJ began to go on a rant, Ruby's eyes softening as he looked over at her.

She allowed him to pull her against his side, placing a gentle kiss on his cheek, silently saying how proud she was of him.

"let's bon voyage out of here, yea?" She teased, a smile playing on her lips as he laughed and nodded.

So the two of them worked to get the Twinkie unstuck, thankfully it was a success- both of them cheering as he got back in the truck.

After that they were driving to the church, everyone else following them in the Twinkie.

Once they parked Ruby got out, laughing as JJ picked her up and carried her inside, repeatedly placing gentle kisses on her lips.

The two became lost in each other- barely noticing Pope climbing up the pillars and looking for the cross.

But the sight of shimmering gold is what caught their attention, everyone staring up at the cross in pure awe.

Only they all weren't expecting the wasps to start attacking Pope- everyone scrambling to find something that could catch him if he fell.

They all watched in horror as Pope fell, landing on the pillows they had placed on the ground.

And suddenly the cross was falling..