6

𝙿𝚘𝚗𝚢𝚋𝚘𝚢 𝙼𝚒𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚎𝚕 𝙲𝚞𝚛𝚝𝚒𝚜
    ♫ - "Sweet Marie" by The Walters

We where both standing under a lamp post, thinking of something to say. The past few hours were easy to me—I was talking to her without a care in the world. But now I didn't know what to say. When I wasn't thinking, I could talk to her like I had known her my whole life. I thought that was strange.
I have quite a rep for being quiet, almost as quiet as Johnny. Two-Bit always said he wondered why Johnny and I were such good buddies. "You must make such interestin' conversation," he'd say, cocking one eyebrow, "you keepin' your mouth shut and Johnny not sayin' anything." But Johnny and I understood each other without saying anything. Nobody but Soda could really get me talking. Till I met Georgia Mathews.
I don't know why I could talk to her; maybe for the same reason she could talk to me. We had the same interests and thought of each other as different. I saw something in her that I hadn't seen in anyone else. I cared about her even though I didn't know her all that well. Maybe it was because she was my friend's sister or maybe because I knew she understood what I said that night. I don't know. I reckon it's both.
I felt obligated to tell her that she wasn't the reason for her father's leaving. Two-Bit had told her the same thing, but I know it means more when somebody that isn't your family tells you something—somebody who isn't your family doesn't know you as well and doesn't know how you would react. I wouldn't know how she would react, but a part of me knew that it would help her. It feels as though all my words are contradicting my thoughts. I'm saying how I don't know her and that she's a stranger but I feel as if there's some sort of bubble around us that's making us the only two people in the world.
Georgia peered up at me and smiled suddenly. "I've never told anyone that before."
I remembered her words from before, when I told her that she was the first person I told about Darry and me. "Well, it's an honor." Georgia laughed. There goes feeling nervous, I thought. "C'mon, it's almost 7:00." I said. "Darry'll be madder than a wet hen if we come home any later."
"Yeah." Georgia laughed. "Do you want to play The Question Game on the way there?"
I would have asked what the game was but I thought the title was self explanatory.
Georgia started. "Do you think there's life on other planets?"
  I thought about that for a minute. "Maybe."
"I think there is." Georgia stated. "The first search for aliens was only three years ago. There's so much we haven't seen yet."
I nodded my head. "I bet there are things out there, but it's scary thinking about it." Extraterrestrial stuff freaks me out. With all those movies about monsters and globs of goo, I didn't wanna think about what would happen if they decided to visit. It might be selfish but I didn't really wanna be living in the same universe as an alien. I intentionally started to slow down my walking so we could talk more. "Sunrises or sunsets?"
Georgia kicked a rock in her path. "Well I think sunrises are prettier, but I'm never up that early to watch one. I usually sit on my porch and watch the sun set."
"Me too." I spoke. "I usually stand and watch them when I'm supposed to be talking out the trash."
Georgia laughed a bit. "I'll bet you sneak out and watch them, too." She was quiet for a minute after I nodded. "I used to do that."
I pictured that, or tried to. Maybe Georgia stood still and watched the sun set while she was supposed to be taking the garbage out. Stood there and watched and forgot everything else until Two-Bit told her to hurry up like Darry did to me. Maybe not, though. Two-Bit ain't the type to care about taking out the trash.
"Why not anymore?" I asked her.
"I don't know, it just seems like a waste. I can see it from my porch just fine." She kind of shrugged. "I think I'd do it again if I had somebody with me. It would give it meaning,
ya know?"
I nodded. Watching the sunset by yourself is already magical. I could image having somebody else with me. I was thinking it would feel like you were the only two people on the earth. I was hoping I could experience it one day. "We should watch one together sometime." I said, not really thinking. We had reached my house and Georgia climbed up the porch stairs.
She turned and smiled at me. "I'd like that a lot, Ponyboy."
I wanted to make a plan right then and there but I had already been more upfront than usual that day. Instead I smiled and opened the door for us.
"Right in the nick of time!" Sodapop bolted past me and Georgia with a bowl of popcorn in his arms. I looked at the clock that hung above the kitchen doorway. It read 6:57. If I had been out just three minutes later then Darry would have flipped his lid.
The gang was lounging around the living room watching a movie. "The one time I'm out you guys choose to watch a movie?" I groaned. I always miss out on stuff.
Soda set down the popcorn and sat himself in between Johnny and Steve on the long couch. "We didn't choose too, it just came on."
I rolled my eyes and sat next to Johnny. Two-Bit sat in front of the T.V while Dally sat on the smaller couch, Darry in his recliner. Georgia navigated around Two-Bit, who was sprawled on the floor like a starfish, and sat on the small couch with Dallas.
"Get a lotta candy?" Dally questioned her.
"Yep. Dime well spent." Georgia winked at him. Dal's signature smirk was plastered on his face as he nudged Georgia in the arm.
Dally wasn't a friend type of guy. It surprised me that he was even friends with the gang, him being so cold and all. He grew up on the streets, and learned to keep your distance. I wouldn't have ever thought he'd get to being friendly with a fifteen year old girl, but he seemed to be doing just that. I bet he didn't think that either, he prided himself on his rough guy rep. He was as tough as the guys in Brumly. But I guess you can have friends and still be tuff, I just didn't expect it from Dallas.
Commercials had inevitably interrupted the movie, and Two-Bit was snapped from his trance. "Did ya bring anything for me?" He asked, sitting up.
Georgia reached into her pocket and tossed him a piece of taffy. "I took a few more, you guys want one?" Dallas held out his hand and the rest of the gang verbally agreed. I didn't feel like having anymore taffy, for I had eaten all of what I had bought.
The movie started up again and the gangs attention was taken. I wish I could remember the movie's name but I got distracted half way through, which isn't normal of me. I like getting into movies and living in them with the actors. But this night I couldn't. I kept looking at Georgia. Gosh, she was pretty. She was paying close attention to the movie, or at least trying to. Her eyes were drooping and I could tell she was tired.
Her hair always seemed perfect, even though I had heard her complain about it before, when Two-Bit had put her in a head-lock. Right now it was laid on her shoulders and sliding down her arms. It shown a pretty auburn color one second, and a different hue the next. This was caused of the light of the T.V. changing with the scenes. It was awfully pretty.
I was looking at her for longer than I thought, because I felt Johnny nudging me in the arm after what felt like a few seconds. "Quit staring," He said, "You're gonna freak her out.
My eyes got wide, and I looked to see if anyone noticed. "I wasn't looking for too long, was I?"
Johnny just chuckled in response. I was real glad that Georgia didn't see me. Maybe she did and I just didn't notice. It didn't matter to me if she saw it or not, but I didn't want to know. If I did, then I'd get all embarrassed and start acting funny. Then the gang would laugh, and I'd start saying stupid things that would make me even more embarrassed. It was a cycle that I often ended up in.
The movie, which I still hadn't gotten the name of, ended soon after. Darry sat up and groaned, rubbing his lower back that often ached. "Alright then. I'm hitting the hay." He yawned, running a hand through his short, well-kept hair. "Are you coming by tomorrow, Georgia? I need help making a 4th of July cake."
"Yeah sure, what time do you need me?"
"Any time works for me. I got a day off from work." I bet he was glad to get a day off of work. I know I would be if I worked as much as he did.
Sodapop's laugh sounding like a bell. "I never heard that before." He said, and Darry didn't argue. We all knew he worked too hard roofing houses.
While Darry was busy sleeping, the rest of us talked till it was pitch dark. Time always flew by whenever we got set on a topic. It seemed like only a few minutes, but it had really been an hour. Soon enough it was time for Georgia to go home.
"I'll see ya'll tomorrow." She said and turned to face Two-Bit. "You staying here, Two?"
"Yep. I'll see ya tomorrow, love ya."
"Love you too." Georgia answered, and gave the rest of us our goodbyes. Waving to Dally and Soda, giving Steve a fist-bump, and hugging Johnny. "Bye Ponyboy." She smiled, and started walking to the door.
"You want me to walk you home?" The gang laughed and I realized how stupid of a question it was. They would tease me about that later.
"Did you forget I live across the street?"
I played it off, or at least tried to, and shrugged my shoulders. "Better safe than sorry." Good going, I thought. I'm bet she thinks you're real tuff now.
Georgia didn't seem to mind, just humored. The twenty foot long walk was evidently short and silent. Up until we made it to the front door. "Gosh, I don't think I could have made it without you!" She laughed, harmlessly teasing me.
My face reddened and I hung my head. Sometimes I just don't think before I speak. Why'd I ask to walk her home, I cursed myself. I just don't use my head. It drives Darry nuts, 'cause I'm supposed to be smart; I make good grades and have a high IQ and everything, but I don't use my head. I know that if I did, it would save me from a lot of embarrassment.
"I'll see you tomorrow, Ponyboy." She said, and gave me a peck on the cheek. It stung hot, but good a good hot. It was nice.
I lifted my head and I gazed into her soft eyes. I don't know how eyes can be soft, but hers were. "Yeah, see ya."
I walked across the street and stepped up on to our front porch, eager to tell Johnny and Soda about the stinging sensation on the right side of my face.
"Ponyboy!" Georgia called from her front door, making me turn back around just as I was about to open the door. "Thank you." She said, and disappeared inside her house.
I stood there in a daze for a minute or two after she went inside. A stretching smile that I hadn't noticed I grew was suddenly on my face. It was a pretty good night.