11

𝙶𝚎𝚘𝚛𝚐𝚒𝚊 𝙳𝚊𝚠𝚗 𝙼𝚊𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚠𝚜
    ♫ - "You Say I'm In Love" by Banes World

   "Two-Bit can you come here for a second?" I said. I was picking at my top lip and sitting on our living room couch.
    Two-Bit dove next to me and kicked back on the couch. "What's buzzin', Georgie?"
    I stared at him blankly. He was happy, having just gotten back from hanging with the gang, and I felt like a jerk for wanting to talk to him about something so serious. Two had never been fond of talking about feelings and stuff, but this was important and I knew I had to talk to him.
   "Please don't take this the wrong way Two-Bit, I'm telling you because I love you." I started. Two-Bit stopped slouching and sat up straight. "You've been drinking a lot lately and it's scaring me. I don't want you to end up like Dad, Two. It's gonna happen if you keep going on like this."
    I could see it in his eyes that he was already annoyed that I brought the topic up. "Georgie-" He sighed.
   I cut him off before he could tell me to quit being so serious. "And I don't want you arguing with me either. I'm sorry if I'm coming off as mad, but I'm real frustrated. I can't loose you, Two. You're all I got right now."
   Something in Two-But shifted. The look on his face was confusing—a mixture of horror, confusion, and regret. He looked like Pluto after being yelled at. It was a different Two-Bit that I hadn't seen before. I had seen him joyous, I had seen him confused, and I had definitely seen him angry, but never ever this way.
  "I didn't know that." He said, and looked down at his shoes.
   "What's up with you Two-Bit? Why are you drinking so much all of a sudden." I placed a hand on his shoulder. "A few beers is okay but you've been getting boozed up every night now."
   He didn't want to tell me, I could tell. He was pondering on wethe or not to even respond. After a moment or two, he spoke up. What he said surprised me. "I thought drinking would stop me from being scared all the time."
    I thought he was joking at first, and didn't know what to say. "I didn't know that." I said. I wished I could've said something better, something more questioning so I could understand better, but I didn't really know how.
   "Then I guess it's my special talent to hide it." He said, smiling slightly. It wasn't surprising to
see him cracking jokes during a serious conversation.
  "Why are you scared?" I asked.
  "Cause I ain't going anywhere." Two-Bit said.
   I furrowed my eyebrows. "Sure you are, Two. What are you talking about?"
   "I'm dumb, Georgie and you know it." He snapped. He was angry, but not at me. "This is my third year as a Junior in highschool and I barely know how to read! Hell, I love school, but there ain't a chance i'll ever graduate. No one as dumb as me is ever gonna make something of themselves. I'm not going nowhere."
    There was a heavy silence that loomed over us. I had never in my life seen him act like this. His whole reputation was based on him having no cares in the world, and here he was, actually stressing about something. I decided to stay silent and let him sit with his thoughts, even though I had loads to say.
    "Georgia," He said after a moment, "people like me don't go nowhere. Ima greaser, nothin' bout us gets any better but the hair on our heads. I'll stop drinking so much, I promise ya that, but nothings gon' change. I'll still be a no-good hood."
   "Two-Bit, you're one of the smartest people I know. Yeah, you're forgetful and not doing too well in school, but that doesn't mean you're dumb. You're smart, just not in the way that the school says you should."
  "You don't have to lie to make me feel better, Georgia." Two-But sighed and looked at me. 
  "I mean it," I said, "you're smart. I don't know anyone better than you at stealing stuff, and I know there's no one was You know how to get your way outta any tough situation, and you're a quick thinker. That's a good thing to be in life Two-Bit, believe me."
   "But people-" Two-Bit sighed, seemingly getting frustrated again, "People don't care about that's stuff. All they see is the grease in my hair and the scars on my hands. I'll always get the ol' royal shaft."
   "Well you don't have to be a genius to get a job. What about being a roofer like Darry or something like that. Maybe you could work in construction. You don't have to be a genius, you just have to be strong enough."
   A sigh escaped his lips and Two-Bit buried his face in his hands. I gave him a moment to think. "Thank you Georgie." Two-But lifted his head up. I'm sorry, I really am. I never meant to hurt you."
    "It's alright, Two-Bit." I placed a hand on his shoulder and looked him in the eyes. "I'll tell it what; me and Pony will teach you how to read, and we'll help you study once we go back to school. Things'll get better Two-Bit, I promise."
    "I hope you're right, Georgia." He said finally and stood up. "I'll see you in the morning, yeah?"
    "Mhm, I think I'm gonna head to Pony's in a few. I'll see you tomorrow. Goodnight, love you."
     Two-Bit ruffled my hair. "I love you too, Georgia-bug." He unintentionally stomped up the stairs to his room. "Nighty Night, Georgie."
     I remained in the living room for an hour or so. I tidied up the place and hung out with Pluto. Once my mother's car pulled into the driveway, I left out the back door before she could see me and walked to the Curtis'.
    Ponyboy's window was left unlocked. He kept his word of staying up and was barely awake when I got in.
   "How'd it go?" he said groggily, eyes wide with bags under them.
    "Oh, Pone. You didn't actually have to stay up." I held his face in my left hand.
   Pony's eyes closed. "I don't mind. How'd it go?"
    "It went great." Pony made space for me on the bed for me to sit next to him. "He's just worried about his future."
   Ponyboy stared at me with a questioning look. It might've been because he was confused or because he hadn't slept all night.
   "He doesn't think he's gonna make it anywhere in life. I told him that I'll help him read and study once school starts up."
   "Oh." Ponyboy yawned. "I he gonna stop drinking?"
   "He's gonna cut down on it." I sighed. "I'm just glad that he knows how I feel about it."
   Pony head was sunken into his pillow, eyes watching me speak. "Me too."
   "You need some sleep, Ponyboy. I'll see you tomorrow, alright?"
  "No, stay." He begged tiredly. "Please Georgie?" Pony lifted up the comforter.
   I giggled at his pouty expression. I couldn't say no to him. Something about Ponyboy pulled me towards him. Not literally of course, I just felt that I wanted to be around him all the time. 
   Ponyboy had this charm to him that I couldn't quite figure out. I couldn't get enough of him.