People Are On My Side

Lia

Things have always been rather awkward between my brother and me, but the awkwardness is way more uncomfortable now that I am confronting it head-on.

After my conversations with RJ and Yuna, I texted Romeo about hanging out. His reply was lackluster, but at least he agreed to it. And so, I am now back home for winter break and driving the two of us to a nearby mall in our parents' car.

Unsurprisingly, we are silent in the car, with only my playlist—Taylor Swift on repeat—filling the void.

"I hope the restaurant is good," I say. "I heard good reviews."

Romeo grunts in response.

"If we don't like the vibes of it, we can always default to a safe choice like Cheesecake Factory?"

Another grunt.

I tap my fingers on the steering wheel. It has been a long time since I had a proper conversation with Romeo, and he is not making it easy to start one.

"So... how's the, uh, college applications coming along?" I ask.

"It's December."

"Uh... What about it?"

"UC applications ended last month."

"Oh. Right. Sorry."

And we are back to awkward silence.

It's hard to believe college applications are over. It was the only thing our family ever talked about for the entire year or more. I don't even remember what we used to talk about before that. And now, I don't know what else to talk about with Romeo. Maybe this is a bad idea...

I want to turn up the volume of the car audio, but I don't know if Romeo even likes my music. I don't know anything about him.

"I'm not going to college," Romeo whispers.

"What?" I peel my eyes off the road to look at him for a split second. His expression is solemn. He was not joking.

"You're serious..." I mumble. "Wow, I... I didn't know. And Umma is okay with that?"

"Of course not. But there's nothing she can do if I don't apply."

My mouth drops. After a year of fuss and preparations... he didn't even apply?

There's so much we have to catch up on.

"So, what's your plan after high school?" I ask as I drive into the mall.

He sighs. "It's all in the family group chat, you know?"

His accusatory tone stabs me in the heart. Ah yes, the family group chat that I have muted and never check.

"Sorry. I'll... read through it later," I say.

After parking the car, Romeo hops out of the car immediately. The Californian sun is warm and bright, but the tension between the two of us is still ice-cold. We quietly make our way to the restaurant.

"Get anything you want. It's my treat," I say. "Take it as an early Christmas present?"

Romeo leans on the table as he looks at the menu. "You're generous this year."

"Well, it has been a while since we've hung out..." And I figured I needed to bribe him to come out with me. To talk to me after years of avoiding each other.

"Did your girlfriend ask you to do this?"

"My—" The menu drops out of my hands. I stare at my brother, mouth agape. "H- How do you know?"