CVI. Of Gods and Kings

22
PRINCE MANOR
The Chamber of Charred Things
Desdemona
Vinci, Louisiana
October 31st, 2014
___________________________

Before Man and God, there was the Mirror.

An icy edifice, carved from the snowy ruins of the Shetland Islands, that stared back at them. The Mirror, who stood against the frosty sands of times, a symbol of perilous ruin, was adorned with the tears of frozen, thorny roses, of eight grieving kings whose faces were frostbitten, glued to the shattered pieces. In the Chamber of Charred Things, where the dead were burned, the foliage was rotten, and the spirits of the yesteryears were long decayed, there stood the Mirror – before Man, before God, an immortal deity, bright and snowy and beautiful, waiting to feast its eyes on another cold soul.

Where Desdemona walked, the Mirror stood in the dark, moldy underground of the Chamber of Charred Things, feeding on angelic snow from above, beckoning the large flakes to fall from the crevices of the Heavens. Ankle-deep in the chill of the wintry sunset, with the Mirror reflecting the eerie, foamy teeth of the storm clouds and its bride, the moon, Desdemona felt the cold of death then. Like the spirit of the Church of Nossa Senhora da Conceição, castaway among a shore of sirens, the Mirror summoned the monsters buried underneath.

And before Man, before God, Desdemona felt Her.

She was neither of Man and God. As snowflake whites painted the Chamber of Charred Things, there She stood, darkly deceptive, viciously beautiful, like a winter storm. Too cold to stare at, and as the fiery cold burned oneʼs eyes, you saw Her: too horrifying decadent, bloodily beautiful, to turn away from. Where the darkness crept from, She wore a wedding gown of virgin white, with a train of roses spilling from the roses to the icy floor in crystalline stitches. The thorns curled around the bottoms, elegant and frigid, and when Desdemona saw Her – the Snow Queen – She stood in-front of the Mirror, hands baptized in blood.

Sebastianʼs heart, feasted on by Dante, beating raw in her bloody hands.

The snow was soon a heavenly light raped by divine darkness, and as the world went black, Desdemona heard Her cry out in warning:

ᚱᛖᛗᛖᛗᛒᛖᚱ, ᚦᛖ ᛁᛟᚢᚱ ᛟᚾᚲᛖ ᚨᚾᛞ ᚠᚢᛏᚢᚱᛖ ᚲᚢᛖᛖᚾ ᚹᚨᛊ ᚨ ᛈᚱᛟᛈᚺᛖᛏᛖᛊᛊ.

(Remember, your once and future queen was a prophetess).