Chapter 4

♫ Pink + White - Frank Ocean ♫

"I can't believe your dad actually agreed to let you go out for your birthday."

"I can't either."

After my discussion with my dad last night, we talked about my upcoming 18th birthday and, to both mine and Julia's surprise, he agreed I could go out with my friends without being followed by Frank.

"We're going to have so much fun!" Julia squeals in excitement as we walk downtown. "Can I bring James?"

James is the man she met a few days ago. Their date at the bar went so well that Julia already seems smitten.

"Sure."

"If you want to, he could introduce you to some of his friends," she offers but I decline, "Nah, I'm good, thanks."

I already got my heart set on someone, unfortunately.

"We're here," Julia informs me we've reached our destination and we both halt on the sidewalk.

I glance at the fashion studio to our right. It belongs to a new fashion designer, Mitsuya Takashi. Julia is a huge fan of his work. A model casting is being held there today for his next runway show and she insisted on leaving school during our lunch break so she could audition.

"I'll wait here for you," I tell her and she nods.

"I'll be quick," she promises and heads inside while I lean against the rough brick wall, tucking my hands into the pockets of my uniform. 

Watching the steady stream of passers-by, I lose myself in thought until the door of the studio creaks open. I cast the person who walks out an absentminded sideways glance, but I quickly do a double take.

It's the man from the motorbike shop. Draken.

He doesn't notice me as he leans against the wall on the opposite side of the door, and I hesitate for a moment before pushing off and making my way over to him.

"Draken?" I say, uncertainly.

He turns to me, and within a few seconds, his features subtly shift from surprise to confusion, then to amusement.

"It's you again. Are you stalking me? Didn't get enough of me the other night?" He teases me and I roll my eyes, feeling a smile tug at my lips.

"Don't flatter yourself."

He chuckles under his breath and the smile tugs at my lips a little harder.

"You must be here for the model casting," He assumes, nodding to the studio.

"No, but one of my friends is," I explain. "She's inside right now. I'm just here for moral support. What about you?"

"I-"

Just then, a woman with a clipboard bursts out of the studio, calling for Draken. "We need you now! Can you change into the third outfit?"

"Yeah, I'll be right in," He replies and the woman rushes back inside.

"You're a model?" I ask, my brows slightly lifting in surprise as Draken brings his gaze back to me.

"I just do it as a favor for my friend. He's the designer."

"Mitsuya Takashi, right?"

"Yeah," he confirms and turns to go, but he stops at the door and looks back at me. "Hey, if you're really here to give your friend moral support, you should give it to her from a little closer, don't you think?"

I smile at the invitation.

He holds the door open for me and lets me go in first.

The inside of Mitsuya's studio is bustling with activity. Several models are waiting in different corners of the room, talking to each other or flipping through their phones. The walls are adorned with colorful posters of previous fashion shows and photoshoots. The air is thick with the scent of perfume and hairspray.

At the back of the studio, the woman with the clipboard is standing, shuffling through papers and occasionally glancing up to call out the name of the next model.

The photoshoot set is on our left. The sound of a camera shutter can be heard as a photographer snaps pictures of a model striking poses in front of a white backdrop. My heart swells with excitement when I realize that the model in question is Julia. She's been dressed in Mitsuya's creations.

"That's my friend," I tell Draken who's still standing behind me. I watch her for a moment. "She's so pretty... You think she'll be picked?" I ask Draken and look at him over my shoulder. 

Instead of finding him looking at Julia, I find him staring down at me.

He clears his throat and averts his gaze away from me to look at Julia.

"Hard to tell," he answers. "Mitsuya's choices are unpredictable."

I hum in understanding.

"I should go," he says and I nod.

"See you."

"See you."

We exchange one last quick smile, then I follow him with my eyes until he disappears into the men's changing room at the back of the studio.

By the time I look back at the photoshoot set, Julia has been replaced by another model. A minute later, my friend emerges from the girls' changing rooms and makes her way towards me.

"You looked amazing out there," I compliment her as she stops by my side and she smiles at me.

"Thanks, I really hope I get picked for the runway show."

We both turn back to the photoshoot set, watching as another model takes the stage.

"By the way, who was that guy you were talking to?" Julia asks, her eyes scanning her competition.

"He's just someone I met recently," I reply nonchalantly, not wanting to delve into the details of my chance encounter with Draken.

The photographer calls for the next model and we watch as another girl takes her place. When she finishes her pose, the photographer dismisses her before turning to the woman with the clipboard.

"Is Draken ready?" he asks, and she nods in confirmation.

A few moments later, Draken emerges from the changing room. He's let his long black hair down and is now wearing a matching coat and pants with a black shirt underneath. 

"He's so hot," Julia whispers, and I can't help but agree.

"Almost as hot as your dad," she adds with a grin, and I elbow her.

"Ew. Don't ever call my dad hot again," I scold her.

She chuckles and then links her arm through mine. As we make our way to the exit, I steal a glance over my shoulder. Draken is getting ready to pose in front of the camera, but his gaze seeks mine and our eyes meet one last time before Julia and I walk out of the studio.