Chapter 5

♫ Stargirl - The Weeknd, Lana Del Rey♫

"I failed the test for sure," Leo whines as we walk out of school.

"You always say that, and you always end up having the best grade in the class," I remind my classmate.

"No, but this time, I'm sure I failed," he insists, and I roll my eyes at him.

Suddenly, my feet halt when I notice that instead of my usual chauffeur Frank, Mikey is the one waiting for me in front of my school today.

He's leaning his back against his black McLaren, scrolling through his phone.

"Mikey?" I call out to him, surprised.

He lifts his gaze from his phone and his eyes land on me and Leo.

"What are you doing here? Where's Frank?" I ask him.

"Frank said he wasn't feeling well, so I offered to pick you up," he explains and I nod slowly, still a little surprised.

I turn to say goodbye to Leo. Just then, I notice his eyes slide to something behind me and his expression shift from friendly to guarded.

"See you tomorrow," I tell him.

My friend quickly mutters a goodbye and walks away, his eyes darting to something behind me one last time. I frown and turn around, finding Mickey's eyes glued to Leo's retreating figure. His gaze drifts back to me as he opens the car door. After a moment of hesitation, I slide into the passenger seat, feeling his eyes on me as he closes the door. He takes his seat behind the wheel and drives off, an awkward silence settling between us.

Suddenly, he breaks the silence, his voice low and measured. "Who was that guy?" he asks, his eyes focused on the road ahead.

"Just a guy in my class."

"He likes you," he says matter-of-factly, his eyes flickering briefly to me before returning to the road.

"No he doesn't," I reply, but the words sound weak and unconvincing even to my own ears. I, myself, have suspected Leo might like me.

"Yes, he does," Mikey insists, and I swear I catch a faint hint of jealousy in his voice, or maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.

"Do you like him?" he then asks, his eyes meeting mine briefly.

I hesitate for a moment, wondering if I should lie to see his reaction, but I can't bring myself to do it.

"No, I don't," I answer truthfully and he brings his gaze back to the road.

Relief floods through me as the tension between us eases a bit, and I let out a small sigh, turning my head to the window to watch the city go by.

"How was your day?" he asks after a moment.

"It was good. Alumni came to talk to us about their studies and jobs. It was interesting, but I still have no idea what I want to do after high school..."

"You know, you don't actually need to have a job or a career," he says and I exhale softly.

"Yeah, I know it probably wouldn't bother my dad to take care of me for the rest of my life but-"

"Not just your father," He interrupts me, turning his head to catch my gaze.

My heart skips a beat as I catch the implication in his words.

He brings his eyes back to the road and keeps one hand on the stirring wheel while sliding one under his suit jacket. He plucks out his black credit card and extends it towards me.