Chapter 6

The night before my 18th birthday, I'm home alone, surrounded by shopping bags filled with my birthday treats. I've been out all afternoon, picking out the perfect dress and shoes to go out with my friends tomorrow. 

I'm carefully placing the new items in my closet when I hear a knock at the door. I make my way down the stairs to answer it, only to find Mikey standing on the porch.

"Mikey?" I say, surprised to see him.

"Hey," he greets me, a slow, lopsided smile spreading across his face.

"My dad's not home," I inform him, assuming that's why he's here.

"I know," he replies. "I came to see you."

My heart flutters and I can feel my cheeks flush with excitement as he flashes me a grin.

"Get dressed. I'm taking you out for your birthday."

-----------------------------

Half an hour later, we're zooming through the city streets in Mikey's McLaren. The anticipation inside me is building up like a storm. My restless fingers fidget with the hem of my dress while I gaze out of the window at the flickering lights of the buildings racing past us.

"Where are we going?" I ask Mikey, my curiosity bubbling over.

A sly grin creeps over his face as he keeps his focus on the road. "Patience. You'll find out soon enough."

A few minutes later, Mikey pulls up into a narrow alleyway and cuts the engine.

"Check the glove box," he instructs me with a smirk.

I pop open the glove box and find two beautifully crafted masks lying inside. One is sleek and black, while the other is a deep shade of red.

"A masked party?" I breathe out, my eyes widening as I look back at Mikey.

He simply nods in response and leans over to grab the black mask and put it in place over his face. I eagerly grab the red mask and imitate him, sliding my mask over my face.

Mikey steps out of the car first. He rounds to my side to open my door for me and extends a hand.

"Shall we?" he asks, nodding towards the dimly lit entrance of the building in front of us.

I take his offered hand, feeling another rush of excitement wash over me. Before even stepping inside, I already have a feeling I'm going to remember this night for a long time.

As we descend the dimly lit stairway leading to an underground club, my senses quickly get overwhelmed. The sound of muffled bass begins to reverberate through my chest and the scent of smoke and sweat invades my nostrils.

When we reach the bottom of the stairs, we find ourselves in a dimly lit room with a low ceiling. The walls are made of exposed brick, and there are no windows, giving the space a feeling of seclusion and intimacy. The room is crowded with people wearing masks that cover their faces, leaving only their eyes and mouths visible. 

The dance floor is in the center of the room. It's packed with people dancing to the thumping beats of a song. The music is so loud I can barely hear the murmur of voices or the clinking of glasses over it.

I catch glimpses of people making out in the shadows, while others are engaging in even more explicit activities. At our emersion in the sensual atmosphere, I can't help but feel tingles of excitement throughout my whole body.

Mikey keeps a hand on the small of my back as he guide me to the bar which is at one end of the room. On our way, I feel a few pairs of eyes linger on me and turn to look, but the sea of masks makes it hard to tell who's looking in my direction. The only sign that Mikey has noticed it too is that he sneaks a protective arm around my waist and keeps me as close to him as possible.