Chapter 9

9 months later

The bustling streets of New York City gradually fade into the background as I make my way back to my apartment, my bag full of my textbooks and notes swinging gently as I walk. I arrive at the apartment I share with Julia and I push open the door with a tired sigh. The familiar scent of home greets me as soon as I step inside. 

As I walk further into the apartment, I'm abruptly pulled out of my thoughts by muffled sounds coming from Julia's bedroom at the end of the hallway. They grow louder and more distinct, causing my cheeks to flush with embarrassment.

She's having sex. Again.

I have nothing against Julia bringing guys home; I know that's her way of getting over her recent breakup with James. But the doors are so thin that I can hear everything. And all of those noises only serve to remind me just how dry my own sex life has been lately.

I drop my bag and coffee mug onto the couch in the living room. It's adorned with mismatched cushions that Julia and I found a few weeks ago in a thrift store.

I plop down on the couch and dial my dad's number. Since I've left, we call each other almost every day. It rings, but he doesn't pick up. I pull the phone away from my ear and frown down at the screen.  

I then dial Ran's number. The phone rings for a moment, then Ran's voice comes through the line, "Hey, how's my little angel?"

I smile, exhaling. "Hi."

"Everything okay?" He asks me.

"I'm okay, but..." I pause, sighing. "I just wanted to hear your voice. I miss you."

"We miss you too. Are you sure you can't comeback for my birthday this weekend? I'd love for you to be there."

I fight a grin and adopt an apologetic tone. "I can't, I'm sorry. I just have so many things to do..."

Lie. I've actually already booked my flight to come home. I'll be in Tokyo just in time for Ran's birthday.

"Oh, okay.  Well, we'll talk later then."

He sounds so sad I almost want to ruin the surprise and tell him I'm coming back.

"Yeah, talk to you later."

Just as I'm hanging up, Julia's bedroom door opens and a man walks out. On his way to the door, he shoots me a tight-lipped, awkward smile that I reciprocate. He has just closed the door behind him when Julia emerges from her bedroom, wearing a bathrobe and a satisfied smile.

"Hey," She greets me when she notices me on the couch. "I didn't know you were back. Did you hear us?"

"I'm pretty sure the whole neighborhood did," I tease and she grabs a pillow from the couch to throw it at my face. 

"What was his name?" I ask as she plops down next to me.

"Max or Michael or Mitchell or something." I breathe out a laugh and she changes the subject. "It doesn't matter. What matters is, are you ready to leave?"

"Yeah, I'm all packed."

"Did you take that cute lingerie set. You know, the red one?"

"Why would I need that? I'm going to see my father, my uncle and my godfathers," I remind her.

"You're also probably going to see Mikey when you're there," she reminds me in turn. "And we both know you still like him."

I don't deny. 

Not one day has passed when I haven't thought of him. I never called or texted him, though. But secretly, I hope he's changed his mind about me. About us.

-----------------------------------------------

After a 14-hour flight, I finally arrive in Tokyo. As soon as I collect my luggage and exit the airport, I hop into a taxi and give the driver my address, but half-way, a sudden urge prompts me to make a detour. I give the chauffeur a different address, and within ten minutes, we arrive at Draken's bike shop.

My heart is pounding in excitement as I step inside, anticipating to find Draken immersed in his work on a motorcycle or stationed behind the counter. Instead, I find one man with light green eyes, blond hair and a scar on the right side of his face. He's standing at the counter and writing something in a notebook. When he notices me, he momentarily halts his actions and lifts his eyes to meet mine.

"Can I help you?" he asks, his eyes devoid of anypoint emotion.

"Um," I pause uncertainly. "I'm looking for Draken?"

He gives me a once-over before calling over his shoulder, "Draken! Someone's here for you."

Returning his gaze to me, he studies my appearance for another moment before nonchalantly lowering his eyes back to the notebook.

Moments later, Draken emerges from the room situated at the back of the shop. As his eyes land on me, he freezes, his lips parting in surprise.

While I was in New York, Draken and I kept in touch. We texted regularly, but it felt much different than seeing him in person. He hasn't changed at all, yet the way he looks at me suggests that he thinks I have.

"You're back," he breathes, his voice laced with a mix of surprise and joy.

"I'm back," I confirm, unable to contain my grin.

He inhales deeply, taking a step closer. A few meters still seperate us, but it seems as though he is still too stunned to bridge the gap entirely.

"When did you arrive in Tokyo?"

"About 30 minutes ago."

His eyes widen ever so slightly in surprise. "And I'm the first person you've stopped to see?"

An instant flush warms my cheeks.

Alright. Said like that, it does make me sound seem desperate to see him.

I try to lighten the situation with a nervous chuckle. "You know, I just couldn't wait to see my baby," I stammer, referring to my motorcycle I left in his care 9 months ago.

But my words get misinterpreted and Draken's eyes widen once more. The man at the counter throw me a weird look, intensifying my embarrassment.

Swiftly, I turn to him and hastily explain, "I was talking about my motorbike."

Draken chuckles, capturing my attention once again. His eyes crinkle at the corners as he brushes a hand over his mouth, his lips curled into a warm smile.

Shit. I missed him.

"Your 'baby' is right over there," he says, gesturing towards a corner of the shop. He walks past me and leads me towards my cherished Triumph Trident. I take a moment to run my fingers gently over the metal frame, then I grin up at Draken.

"So tell me, how many girls did you take for rides while I was away?"

He responds with a light shrug of his shoulders and a playful tone, "Just a few."

Amused, I chuckle and bring my gaze back to my motorbike.

"How long are you staying?" He asks me.

"A week or two."

A honk from the taxi that's still waiting for me outside resonates , causing me to glance briefly at the vehicle through the shop's window before returning my attention to Draken.

"I should go. My taxi's waiting, but do you think we could hang out while I'm here? If you have time."

He nods. "Sure. Anytime."