Chapter 2

Josef consulted the map once more before directing his gaze towards the road that lay ahead. "It should be the next left." he affirmed, gesturing towards the desired direction.

Gazing through the truck's windows, the presence of the German army loomed, their military vehicles and uniformed personnel present at almost every street corner. A unease gripped the trio with each passing moment, amplifying their dread.

Eventually, Jan maneuvered the vehicle to a halt, prompting Josef's eyes to scan the surroundings with alert precision. "This is it." he announced, his gaze fixed upon the towering apartment building before them.

Exiting the truck, Izabela, Josef, and Jan moved cautiously, their glances darting in all directions.

Ascending the steps, their senses on high alert, their collective attention fell upon a door, marked with the number 44.

Jan knocked on the door and they waited. The approaching footsteps cut through the silence and a plain-looking women in her late thirties opened the door.

"Yes?" she inquired, her voice tinged with suspicion.

"We are looking for Oldrich Novák." Jan stated, to which the women eyed them with uncertainty.

"The Novákovi no longer live here." she responded, the weight of her statement lingering in the air.

"Who is it?" a man's voice suddenly called from within the of the apartment.

"Just somebody looking for directions." the woman retorted, her voice belying her unease. "I am sorry, but that's all I know." she added.

As the woman prepared to close the door, Izabela instinctively interjected, her hand coming forward to stop its progress. 

"Please. Can you help us?" she pleaded, her voice laced with desperation as she nodded toward Josef's foot.

The woman's gaze descended upon Josef's injured foot, a small pool of blood gathering around his heel. Momentarily contemplating, she relented, her eyes meeting Josef's with sympathy.

"There is a veterinarian in the next row of shops up the street. I hear he is a good man, one that may help." she offered her gaze to Josef, who expressed his gratitude through a silent nod. 

Once the woman closed the door the three leave, their steps leading them towards the animal clinic.

-

The sound of a bell ringing above the door announced the arrival of Izabela, Josef, and Jan in Dr. Eduard's office. 

The unexpected intrusion prompted the doctor to lift his head, a subtle flicker of concern etching itself upon his countenance. He wasn't expecting any other patients for the day.

As the trio stepped inside, their footsteps resounding softly upon the floor, an elderly woman, accompanied by her faithful canine companion, emerged offering a parting farewell to Dr. Eduard.

Briefly, her eyes lingered upon Izabela, Josef, and Jan, evoking a flicker of curiosity. Casting a glance back at the doctor, her face betrayed a essence of worry. 

"Take care of him, Mrs. Spinka." Dr. Eduard said to her, his voice laden with a comforting reassurance as she departed, her footsteps gradually receding.

With a momentary pause, Dr. Eduard shifted his focus towards the trio, his gaze settling upon their presence.

-

Skillfully attending to the task at hand, Dr. Eduard proceeded to stitch up Josef's foot, the rhythmic motion of his skilled hands bringing about a sense of respite.