Chapter 4

In dance hall was illuminated in warm brown hues, tables and chairs lined the perimeter of the dance floor, where several couples swayed and twirled to the lively tunes of a swing band. A banner hung across the hall, proclaiming the arrival of the new year in bold letters: "HAPPY NEW YEAR - 1942!"

There was a mix of social classes, with upper-class individuals wearing tuxedos mingling with working-class men wearing brown jackets. Businessmen conversed with artists, black marketeers found themselves in the company of Czech police, and a few off-duty SS officers could be seen in one corner, their presence a reminder of the occupying forces.

This was occupied Prague, where every interaction carried an underlying tension. The dance hall, with its 1920s prohibition vibe, had become a temporary neutral ground for all who gathered there on this New Year's Eve.

Jan and Josef sat secluded in a corner, observing the scene before them.

"Look at them..." Josef said as he gestured towards the crowd, "It's like some old ritual that's lost its joy."

"Maybe there's hope in the pretense." Jan told him.

As Josef lit a cigarette, Jan directed his attention to the entrance of the dance hall.

Marie and Izabela emerged from the crowd, arm in arm, both dressed beautifully, their presence caught the attention of various men, who couldn't help but steal glances in their direction.

Izabela wore a simple yet captivating black dress, showcased its fitted waist and flared silhouette. The knee-length hemline allowed the fabric to sway gracefully with each step, adding a touch of fluidity to her movements.

This caused Josef's gaze to fall upon her. A mix of emotions flickered across his face as his intense gaze softened, and a hint of a smile tugged at the corners of his lips.

However, Josef quickly composed himself, shielding his emotions behind a veil of stoicism. He shifted his focus to Jan, who rose from his seat to greet the approaching duo.

"Hello." Marie greeted them with a warm smile, Izabela echoing her statement.

Jan reciprocated with a friendly smile and a simple "hello" of his own, while Josef remained seated, casting only a fleeting glance at the two before averting his gaze.

"You know it's not very polite - " Marie began, but Josef swiftly interjected, his tone firm and commanding. "Please, sit down." he requested, leaving Izabela, Marie, and Jan exchanging glances before complying.

"I'll pay you the compliment of being the two most beautiful girls in the room." Josef remarked, his words tinged with a seriousness that permeated the air. "But this is not a night off for us."

This statement causes Izabela and Marie to give him a look.

"Josef, maybe you are overreacting a little." Jan interjected, his voice laced with a hint of caution.

"Jan, take a look around." Josef whispered in a hushed tone, urging his companion to observe the scene unfolding around them.

Jan complied, casting a discerning gaze across the room, where a few individuals purposefully averted their eyes, a subtle acknowledgment of the weight that accompanied their presence. Perhaps Josef's concerns were not entirely unfounded.

Attempting to divert the conversation, Izabela spoke, cutting through the tension. "We get it Josef, no lipstick, cause that gets us noticed and us being noticed could get us all shot. Now could Marie and I at least get in one dance before we leave?"

Jan, relieved by the change of subject, wholeheartedly accepted the suggestion. "I think that's a terrific idea." he affirmed, extending a hand to Marie, who graciously accepted the offer. Together, they made their way to the dance floor, leaving Josef and Izabela momentarily alone.