Chapter 6 - Stories Unveiled

***

I was still flabbergasted about what happened just now. Who exactly is Yata? And why does she have supernatural powers that can transport us back in time? All of this doesn't seem real, but it is. I'll have to get to the bottom of this.

Before I went back to Hikaru's van I went and took pictures of Gorou's corpse with my phone, after that I sat on the same bench the night I killed the doctor and waited for Hikaru's van to arrive.

Eventually, it arrived and Hikaru stepped out of the vehicle. His clothes were stained. The stains were red. Like... blood?

"What are those stains?" I asked.

"Oh, while exploring the woods I ate some burgers and spilled some ketchup. Don't worry, I'll just put my jacket in the washing machine inside the van." He said with a smile.

"Ah, I see," I said Hikaru's smile was sinister. I think he's hiding something from me.

"You found the corpse? Because I haven't"

"Yeah, I took pictures too just in case."

"Lovely, we can add those takes to our database. Just more precautions before we execute the main act, is that fine?"

"Yeah, sure."

"So, are you coming inside the van or what?"

"Oh, right."

As the van started moving, I can't help but notice Hikaru's red stains on his jacket. He tossed his coat inside the washing machine.

"Ah, it's refreshing to see dirty clothes get cleaned. Now, before we start working again, do you have any questions, maybe have a little chat?" Hikaru asked.

I stopped for a second and thought about what to ask, then a question came to my mind. A critical one.

"Why do you hate Ai so much?"

Hikaru's face seemed shocked.

"Next question, please."

"Answer me, Hikaru."

Hikaru sighed. "I guess I have to tell you the truth, you've seen me rage over it, so I might as well tell it too."

Hikaru started explaining.

"I was once a fan of hers, just like you. We went to the same middle school. She was the most beautiful girl I have ever seen. With that said, I approached her, and suddenly we became good friends. Best friends to be precise. I loved her like her fans would, I felt like I was destined to protect her, destined to make her feel love.

But she betrayed me, she had kids even without her best friend knowing! Such a despicable act! An act like this cannot be forgiven! Thy shall perish in my hands!"

Hikaru's stars which can be found in his eyes became darker.

"That must've been nice, being friends with Ai," I said.

"It really was, but she betrayed me, just like how she betrayed you."

"Mhm, yeah..."

"Hey, what's wrong?"

"Oh, uh, nothing, it might be nice having some friends, no?"

"You never had any?"

"I uh- after I finished high school I got disowned and lived alone... I didn't even know the reason why. It was hard living on my own, I didn't even have any friends, or even anyone to talk to... and at the time I was already feeling adjusted to my current state when I found out on the news that my parents were dead... murdered. Stab marks could be found all over their body."

"Oh.." Hikaru's eyes darkened even more.

"I didn't give a shit about my parents... okay, that's a lie because they were my parents. I loved them, but, they disowned me, there was nothing that I can do, and now they're dead. I already reached the point where I started to have suicidal thoughts, I didn't have friends, or anyone to talk to, but that's when Ai came, Ai gave joy into my life.

And... she betrayed me..."

I could feel tears flowing out of my eyes. Hikaru tried to comfort me.

"Dear, is that so? Condolences, I suppose. As long as you've got me on your side, you don't have to worry. Here, I'll treat you to lunch, is that fine?" He said with a smile.

I sniffed. "Sure..."

We stopped at a nearby restaurant and ordered some donburi and sushi.

"These are exquisite," Hikaru said while taking a bite.

"Yeahf! Theyf tasf fso good!"

"Don't talk with your mouth full!"
I saw eight crows flying outside the window.
We laughed because of their squawks, and suddenly, someone entered the restaurant.
Purple hair... a godlike appearance... white stars in her eyes...

Ai? But how? Out of all people we could've possibly bumped into it was her?

"Oh, didn't expect this," Hikaru said calmly.

Ai was with her manager, and just as Ai came in, I saw that both she and Hikaru made eye contact. And Ai's stars went dark. This was the first time I've ever seen it go that way.

"Manager, let's go to another restaurant, please... I- I don't like the food here..." Ai said to her manager.

"But I thought you liked sushi?"

"Just, let's go..."

They exited the restaurant within a dash.

"That was weird." Hikaru smiled and took a bite out of his donburi.

"Didn't that seem a little suspicious?" I asked.

"Suspicious what? She didn't like the food, but yeah, I thought she liked sushi." Hikaru took another bite.

"You two made eye contact, is something up?"

"Meh." He took a bite again. "Come on, finish your food, we'll be going."

I wonder...

We finished our food, Hikaru paid the bill, and we went back inside the van. On the way home we chatted.

"Right? Right?" Hikaru laughed

The events earlier were still in my mind. Yata, that crow girl, and Ai. Hours have passed since but it felt like a minute.

"Hey, I'm still curious, why did you and Ai make eye contact, hm? Answer me please."

"Ryosuke-"

"Answer me."

Hikaru sighed. "Because-"

"Because?"

Hikaru smiled. "Obviously, because we became friends? Are you not right in the brain? We became more than-" Hikaru stopped.

"More than what?"

"Nevermind, I was about to say something so off-topic. Anyway, mongus?"