Chapter 7 - The Crow's Reel

***

I thought this would end soon, but it seems it won't.

***

We got back to Tokyo, and we both called it a day. However, Hikaru had a lot of things planned again for tomorrow

"Tomorrow, we're going back to the Miyazaki Prefecture." Hikaru smiled.

"Again??" I asked.

"Certainly, I am working on a new science experiment that requires a DNA of a deceased body, I didn't get to extract some earlier since I left my tools inside my lab."

"Doesn't human DNA wear out fast?" I confusingly said.

"That's the neat part, I have a unique device I constructed that has the ability to revive human DNA that was worn out for over a week. I call it the Gokgok3-"

"Come again?"

"Ehem, I call it the Kamiki Vortex." Hikaru confidently revealed.

"Really? How does it extract the DNA?"

"Too complicated, what matters is that it sucks it. And you, you only will be going back to the Miyazaki Prefecture. I have to work on the science experiment more. Consider this a side quest, no?" Hikaru told me.

I sighed. "Alright, alright, that's what I'll do first thing in the morning."

"Lovely, now go get some sleep. You must be tired."

***

The next day I was at the Miyazaki Prefecture for the third time, bringing the Kamiki Vortex with me. I went back to the location where I left the gynecologist's corpse.

What did Hikaru instruct again?
"You just have to push the button, then pull the lever. The DNA will be contained inside the device on its own."
All right, if it's that simple.

Just as I was about to push the button, a familiar voice called out to me.

"Behold, intruder, for what is it you seek? I smell the evil of what you reek."

"Who are you?" I called out.

A familiar face appeared before me-seven black crows surrounding her. "Oh, it's you. College student."

YATA!

"Yata? Is that you?" I was surprised.

"Yes, it's fucking me, what did you mistake me for? Anyway, what are you doing?"

"I dunno, blonde-haired middle schooler tasked me with this."

"Let me guess, he constructed a device that sucks DNA out of dead people." she chuckled.

"Great job, next thing we know you'll be the one to commence world domination," I smirked.

"I might plan on doing that as well-"

"What the fuck."

"I'm kidding!" Yata replied.

I sighed, as I was gathering DNA Yata and I kept chatting.

"Hey, why are you after this idol exactly? I don't get it. She hasn't even done anything wrong, except having kids that is. But c'monn, you really gotta do her that dirty." Yata asked.

"To be honest, I don't know. It started with foolish rage, but now, I don't really entirely know the reason. Maybe I'm just doing this for money."

"Money?" Yata confusingly said.

"Yeah, blonde-haired is going to give me a couple of million yen if I do this with him." I sighed again.

"You've really got the guts, anyway, what I know is that after you do this, things will go downhill, but not drastically. You will see."

What did Yata mean by that?

"Look, you see these crows? Yeah, they are my crows," she said.

"What's with it?"

"They all look the same, right?"

"So?"

"Well, they aren't entirely the same. Each one has a unique position."

One crow squawked at me. "Yes, I can totally see that."

"You see Mr. Ama here?" A crow sat on Yata's lap. "He's the leader of the pack. How did he become the leader? I don't know! Now, on the other hand, you see Ms. Susa here?" Another crow rested on Yata's elbow. "She's second in command. How? I don't know either!"

"Your point being?" I stared at Yata.

"Well, what I know is that they did different actions which led them to the position they're currently in. Yet, they all look the same, sound the same, and act the same."

"What's so fun about that?"

"What I'm trying to say is, even if you do these kinds of things with blonde-haired, your fate will still be the same. Alter the course of events, it'll still end up the way it's supposed to be. Unless,"

An albino crow landed on Yata's arm.

"Hey, that's pretty rare!" I said excitingly.

"Really now, so, this one is basically the general. He's in control of several groups of crows. All of this happened because his actions were extremely different from the black crows. The black crows had high positions, but the different actions they've done led to the same path. The white crow, on the other hand, commenced a different set of actions that lead to an entirely different path, and its fate changed."

"Hey, isn't that kinda racist?" I asked.

"Fucker, well, what I'm trying to say is, it's not too late. You can become a white crow if you change your actions leading to a different path. But, continue your doings with blonde-haired and stay on the same path, you'll become a black crow. And it's not fucking racist!" Yata screamed.

"Alright! Alright! I get it! Jeez."

The cell phone in my pocket rang. It was Hikaru calling. I answered the call

Hikaru: Have you got the DNA?
Ryosuke: Yeah, I've extracted lots.
Hikaru: Good. I'm waiting inside the van near the hospital in the prefecture.
Ryosuke: Aight, I'll be there.

**call end**

"Gotta go?" Yata asked while playing with the seven crows she was always with.

"Yeah, but I just have one question."

"Andd, what's that?" Yata stared at me in a funny way.

"You had this talk about going on the right path. My question is, what set of actions will lead me to the right path?

Yata smiled.

And just like that, Yata disappeared, again

My cellphone vibrated. It was Hikaru again. He sent a text message
"Hurry, get back to the van, now."

Author's note: Rahhh, can't add more chapters because of schoolll, but anyway, my school year's ending, and I'll probably finish the novel. That's all buh bye