1: The Garden

Even days and odd days. Today was an even day, and George seems to be particularly occupied with whatever it is he does, and for whatever reason does not seem to want to spend time with his wife. It has been nearly two weeks since our wedding and the man had the audacity to abandon me on our honeymoon to look up at the stars. In the following week with the coronation, and his ridiculous attitude it seems as though he cannot stand me. The marital act, and the consummation were rather good but I cannot condone his actions of secret-keeping, lying, and pure rage that seems to boil out of him from time to time. Trying to keep me away from whatever it is he is hiding will not work, I will not tolerate it and his ridiculous notion to only engage with one another on even days is driving me mad. Finally being under the same roof, in the same estate is somewhat helpful for my plague of loneliness but I remain suffocated by the walls, and tired of being changed like a doll for events that never come and for a man that prefers the sky to me.

My mind was spinning, I was hot, wearing too many clothes and feeling trapped under the covers of my bed. I threw them off of me and grabbed the robe my maids laid out on the chair for me, swinging my feet off the bed and tying the robe snug around my waist before putting my slippers on. I needed a walk, I needed the fresh air, anything outside of the palace would be enough at this moment. I tried my best to quietly exit the room without drawing attention to myself, but being the queen attention was nonetheless given to me. I shooed off many a guard and thankfully Brimsley was asleep and unable to bother me. I made my way towards the gardens, the ones I had only first explored on my wedding day where I attempted to go over the wall. I should've just gone over the wall but George charmed me. Hid away the troll that he is, the man he wanted me to see, I saw. I turned a few corners and found the wall, adorned with new flowers since the last time I saw it, but the same impossible situation which was that I could not climb over it. I looked around and saw a bench posted to the left of me, I took a seat and stared into the sky, wondering what makes it so much better than me. My fingers played with the hem of my robe and a tear fell from my eyes as I realized that this is my life now and that my life is bound to a man who despises me and who I despise.

"Charlotte?" I turned my head abruptly to find George standing in the archway of the garden I was sitting in. I quickly smoothed my nightgown and wiped the tear from my face before standing.

"Your majesty," I dipped my head and gave him a curtsey.

"Do not do that Charlotte," he said and I straightened my back.

"How can I help you, your majesty," I said, he would never be just George.

"Charlotte, I said to stop calling me that."

I scoffed, tired of formalities, "I'm sorry but when you tell me you are just George and I call you as such, you demand yourself as my king, my ruler, my controller. When I call you your majesty, you become so up in arms, flustered, and angry. I'm not sure what the proper course of action is to be concluded from this but what I do know is that I'm not sure who you are. Are you my George? Are you my king? Are you my husband? Are you my lover? The number of questions circling my head as to who you are to me makes my head hurt, George." I was breathing heavily with my hands balled up into fists.

"I am all of those things," George explained, but this did not make me feel better.

"That does not ease the chatter in my mind," I explained to him, "I feel as though I am fighting for you, fighting to understand you, but I get nowhere. I do not like secrets, I want your secrets to become mine, I want to be with you. I want you to fight for me because the George I'm looking at right now does not seem interested in fighting for me, let alone with me."

I paced back and forth as I spoke to him, stress boiling up inside of me. He was focused on my words, and seeming as though he was truly trying to understand. "I'm sorry, I really am Charlotte. I didn't ask for this plague I am faced with, caring for you and ruling England and fighting the thoughts inside of my mind. I am the King, I can't afford the luxuries you assume I can, the luxuries of love."