4: Dining Room

I was so tired of playing dress up in the palace every day while my husband was away and doing god knows what with god knows who. It was a maddening routine leaving me lonely and obsessed with the thoughts of when my next opportunity to converse with someone would arrive.

I made my way into the dining room, expecting another silent dinner with Brimsley breathing loudly over my shoulder. The dress I wore dragged and but at my ankles as the corset, I wore needlessly dug into the top of my waist. Everything about this situation made me uncomfortable. I cracked my neck and rubbed down to my shoulder as I turned the corner into the dining room and lifted my eyes off the ground. Instead of an empty chair across from me I was met with George.

My eyes must have given me away as he stood up quickly with a smile and a greeting, "Hello Charlotte." I looked at him in disbelief, not only stunned by his presence but his arrogance in assuming I wouldn't have more questions as to why he was here.

"George, what are you doing," his smile dropped a bit.

"I thought I would join you for dinner," he said, softly. The irritation painted on my face was not reduced with his explanation, instead I turned on my heels and began to walk out of the room. I heard the click of his boots as he tried to follow me.

"No Charlotte, please," he said, running after me quickly and catching up to me before catching my arm under his palm.

I moved my arm out of his grasp with a quick tug, "You do not get to come, randomly, after abandoning me for weeks and assume I will treat you like the husband you promised to be on our wedding night." I explained to him, calm yet unrelenting. I then took a step back, putting distance between his hand that rested at his side.

"That is perfectly reasonable," George said and again I was suprised my his even temperament.

"But, I will remain here with you. I will stay and prove that I am that same man. We will have dinners together, and I will promenade around the garden with my Queen," George explained.

I gave him a slight nod before looking back to his eyes, "If that is what you wish." I said and turned my back to him before requesting to Brimsley that my dinner be brought to my room.

Over the next weeks George lived up to his claims that he would remain with me and close to me. He would eat a silent dinner across the long table, staring at me while the clinks of silverware bounced across the walls. He would walk around the garden with me at his side, and he would steel glances while I pretended not to feel the heat creep onto my cheeks. I would watch him come back into the palace with dirt covering his linen shirt, and steal glances of him undressing for his baths.

It was dinner time once again, I was adorned in a gorgeous navy dress, gold weaved into the neck line and a corset that showed off my assets to the best advantage. I made my way into the dining room, adjusting the crown in my hair and having Brimsley help with the train of my gown. I walked in and saw George in his usual spot, standing to the left of the table and seeejng the way his jaw tightened as I walked into the room. His eyes dropped to my chest, pushing out against the corset I adorned and dipped particularly low. He dropped his head into a slight bow as I dipped my knees into a curtesy, I lifted my head back up and his gaze burned my skin as he shifted on his feet.

"Charlotte, you look-", he began but I quickly cut him off.

"Your flattery falls on deaf ears, your Majesty," I said and motioned for my chair to be pulled out.

He clenched his jaw and gave me an irritated smile pushing his tongue against his inner cheek and gesturing for his chair to be pulled out. Taking my seat, I picked at the chicken and beans that adorned the plate. I let my gaze move up the table towards him, his eyes were fixated on his meal but moved up when he caught me staring. I could hear his breaths from across the table, I see his muscles straining under his clothes, I could see the way his knuckles held unto the table, and how his broad shoulders were pushed against the back of the chair. It was maddening.