22 The moment of truth

Roman POV

"You... This is-" I began as I stood up with Cassia in my arms and set her on her feet.

I took her face in my hands. But at that moment, just as she was about to start to say something back, the door opened and a wide grinning Seth came in.

"Hey guys! I was wondering if you wanted us to bring you something from Starbucks?" he babbled.

"Get out! Get out! Get out!" I said flustered as I let go of her face before basically shoving Seth out of the room.

"Gawd, chill out big man." Seth replied in a tone that told me he didn't hold it against me. Not that I cared at that moment.

On the sofa, Buttons began to bark with agitation. Probably annoyed because she was so rudely torn from her sleep.

I went back to my girl and gently took her hands in mine. Then I took one deep breath to get a grip on myself. This was so exciting.

"How sure are you, baby girl?" I asked.

"Not a bit. I didn't want to take a test while I was home alone. But I'm late... A week... And I'm scared to death. I don't know if I'm ready. What if... what if it happens again?" she replied quietly before dropping her head.

I understood what she was getting at. It was understandable that she was so afraid. But there was nothing we couldn't work out together.

"Cassia, listen... I know I can't guarantee that nothing like this will happen again, but I can promise to always be by your side. When we have a baby, it will be your greatest gift and mine. I know you're scared. But how about we find out if you're really pregnant first. Let's hurry to the drugstore and get a test," I said as I pulled her tightly to my chest so I could wrap her in my arms.

"Well...I already have one here..." she replied softly.

"Okay. Do you want to do it here or would you rather we wait until tonight at the hotel?" I wanted to know.

"If I have to wait another hour I'll definitely go up the walls." said Cassia with a small smile.

"No better time than now, huh?" I replied as I stroked her arms reassuringly.

Then I gave her a kiss on the forehead. Cassia nodded as she broke away from my arms and then reached for her bag. She pulled out the test before heading to the restroom. Undecided what to do, I sat back down on the sofa. Buttons climbed into my lap. I petted her absentmindedly while I waited for Cassia to return.

It was only a few short minutes, but somehow it seemed much longer. And although I knew how tense my love was, I was still very happy. And deep inside I felt that Cassia would be happy as soon as the first shock was over. Or at least I hoped so.

-------------------

Cassia POV

I exhaled audibly as I stood at the sink to wash my hands. Now it didn't take long until I got my answer. And although it wasn't the first time I had taken a pregnancy test, it was very different from the first time. There were worlds in between. I had been terrified the first time too, but for very different reasons.

With the test in hand, I made my way back to Roman. He was sitting on the sofa together with Butt-Butt. As soon as he heard my footsteps, he raised his eyes and looked at me with concern. But there was more in his eyes. And you didn't have to be a psychic to know what it was. He wanted a family of his own. And I kind of wanted that too. Only I was afraid that I would disappoint him again and again or that I might never be ready.

"Hey..." I said as I sat down next to the both of them.

Buttons hopped from Roman's lap into mine before she curled up into a ball. I had to smile because basically she was my baby too. My practice baby, so to speak.

"It's going to be okay, baby girl. I'm here." Roman said softly as he put his arm around my shoulder.

I sighed as I rested my head against his strong shoulder. Although I was freaking out on the inside, it was still a beautiful, intimate moment. Which was unfortunately interrupted far too quickly by the beeping of my phone.

I quickly straightened up and looked at Roman. That was it. The moment of truth. For a moment I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. Then I opened them again while turning the test over in my hand. 

"It's negative. I'm not pregnant," I said quietly.

"Oh... How does that make you feel?" asked Roman just as hushed.

How did it make me feel? When I thought about it like that I was surprised by what was going on inside me.

"You know... I was actually expecting to be relieved. But I'm not... I'm... kind of rather... disappointed... Yes... I'm actually disappointed." I replied as I slowly turned in his direction.

"I guess you were ready after all, baby girl. Without knowing it, you were ready for another try." said Roman and then gave me a light kiss.

"You're right... I want a baby." I replied, surprising myself the most.

"Then let's try for a baby. That's what I want, too. Because I love you and I can't imagine anything more beautiful than having a family with you." he said, resting his forehead against mine.