42 Struck by lightning

Cassia POV

"All right my little man. All set. Now we just have to wait for your daddy. I wonder what's taking him so long. It can't take that long to get your baby carrier out of the car, can it? Oh you are such a sweet little bean! Your sister is going to love you so much. Just as much as I love you," I said to my son when I had finished changing him and could now hold him again.

I walked up and down the room with Rayden as we waited for Roman to return to take us home. But if I had to wait, I could use the time to absorb every detail of my little one. He looked so much like his big sister. Almost as if I had given birth to the same child twice. But I was sure that this would change a few times during the next months.

A few minutes later the door opened quietly. And there he was... the love of my life.

"There you are at last." I breathed with relief.

"I'm sorry it took so long, but I brought presents," he said, and only then did I notice that he had more than just Rayden's baby carrier in his hands.

"You got me a coffee?" I beamed as I recognized the cup.

Roman knew how much I had missed coffee. During pregnancy, even the slightest bit of caffeine had made me feel nauseous.

"Yes. Your favorite. Iced coffee with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and whipped cream topping." He grinned proudly and handed me the cup before taking our son from my arms.

Rayden yawned delightfully and made the sweetest sound as he nestled up against his daddy. Roman gave him a kiss on the forehead before looking back at me.

"Thank you my love. God this is delicious." I replied and then took a big sip.

"But that's not it yet. After all, I was talking about presents. Here, baby girl." he then said as he reached into his back pocket.

He held out a small box to me. I set my coffee aside and took it in my hand.

"What's this?" I asked.

"Open it." he replied simply.

I did what he said and saw that they were earrings. And not just any earrings. They seemed to match the necklace he had given me after Cosima was born.

"Oh Roman!" I whispered, moved.

"Do you like them?" he asked, taking a step closer to me.

"Of course I do! I love them. You're really special and I love you." I replied as I fought back tears.

I reached out so I could give him a kiss. 

"I love you too. And now let's take our little man home. I'm sure your mom and Cosi are already eagerly waiting for us. The rest of the family will come in the next few days. Your dad probably already tonight. I didn't want it to be too much for you and Rayden," he said.

"You really are too good for this world, Mr. Reigns," I said.

"At least I'm trying." he replied, winking at me.

-------------

"We're home!" I called as I opened the door so Roman could carry the little man inside.

Of course, Buttons was already there. As always, she had already heard us. She wagged her tail excitedly and stood on her hind legs. This way she hopped like a rabbit when Mom came to us with Cosima on her hand.

Cosi had a big grin on her face as she immediately clung to my leg. Carefully I lifted her up so that I could cuddle her. I had missed my little one very much during the hours in the hospital. Now everything was as it should be. We were all together.

"Congratulations, baby." Mom said, throwing her arms around me and Cosi.

She gave me a kiss before wrapping Roman in her arms and then turned her attention to the baby. Ro picked up Buttons. Then we followed Mom into the living room. She had Rayden in his seat on the coffee table and was looking at him closely.

I sat Cosi down on the sofa. Right in the corner with her back pressed into the cushions before I unbuckled the baby. I gave Rayden a kiss on the cheek.

"Do you want to meet your brother, angel?" I asked my daughter who was looking at me ready expectantly.

"Yes." she breathed, her eyes wide.

Carefully I placed him in her arms, but did not let him go. Roman took pictures of this beautiful moment when our little girl held her brother for the first time.

I didn't know exactly what was going on in her head, but she looked totally in love when she looked at him like that. Although I'm sure it was a little too early for her to fully understand it all.

"Cute baby..." she said softly as she stroked his cheek with one finger.

Smiling, I turned to Roman. I knew he loved this moment as much as I did. Seeing our children together for the first time was something neither of us would ever forget. 

----------------------

But even the most beautiful moments did not last forever. After all, a newborn was always associated with a lot of work. But in my opinion it was worth it. And of course we tried to involve Cosi as much as possible. The last thing I wanted was for her to get jealous.

Because she had no reason. I love my babies, with fur and without, all the same.

And so the first day at home passed. Much faster than I had thought possible. But by now it was already late in the evening. It was quiet in the house. Only the light snoring of Buttons, who slept on the armchair in the corner of the bedroom, could be heard. As always, she did not let Cosi out of her sight. And now she was watching over Rayden, too.

I sighed contentedly yet tiredly as I looked over at Roman with the baby on my chest. Cosima was sleeping on her daddy's chest while he stroked her back. It was a sight I would never get tired of.

Sometimes it was hard for me to believe that this had all started because of my sheer clumsiness. Sure... There had also been heartbreak along the way.... But in the end, I had no doubt that everything was meant to be as it was now.

Without expecting it, I had found exactly what my life was missing. A deeper meaning. Something that fulfilled me so much more than just thinking about my work. A family of my own and so much love as I had never thought possible.

It was like being struck by lightning. Afterwards, nothing was the same as before.