Prologue

☃️⛄☃️

"What to do with the kid?" Rajeeb asks, looking at Manav. 

"Let's kill him." The said kid looks up to them with a horrified expression glued to his face. 

The boy is kneeling in front of them, gripping his dirty t-shirt tightly as if he's trying to hold himself together. Well, isn't it what a sane person will do? How will Manav know that? He isn't sane, never has been one.

"Let's not act on your impulse. We had enough for one night." Rajeeb utters, pointing at the bloodied body of the shopkeeper. 

Even though the kid is sobbing hard, he isn't making any noise. Rajeeb doesn't know what to actually do with him. He can't possibly let him go after he had witnessed Manav going maniac and killing the shopkeeper without any mercy. However, he isn't that cruel either to kill an innocent child. 

"What were you doing in the shop at this hour?" Rajeeb asks the kid who still doesn't say anything. 

"Let me make him speak." Manav says, grabbing the bloodied knife before taking some steps to go near the kid. 

It seems to do the trick because the unnamed kid shows them the loaf of bread that he's holding is an iron grip. He still doesn't speak though. 

Rajeeb inspects the child with careful eyes. He looks hardly 16 but it's not easy to determine his age as he is literally littered with filth, his hair is a mess as well.

Manav can't deny that he feels a pang of sympathy for the boy who forwards his hand and shows them the bread. It brings back memories upon seeing how the boy looks at him with tear filled eyes, silently begging him. 

The adults share a look of uncertainty. When Manav killed the man, they didn't think anywhere was there until they found a boy at the corner, shivering in fear. 

"We will let you go." Manav looks at Rajeeb in disbelief. 

"Have you lost your mind? He has seen me murdering someone in cold blood." Manav almost screams. 

A murder isn't a big case for him but the fact that it's the 5th murder he committed this week makes it a little over the top. They can't afford to have any loose end. 

"Don't worry. He hasn't seen anything." There's an undertone of a dangerous threat behind his soft spoken words, "Did you, Kid?" 

The boy innocently nods his head. 

Rajeeb sighs. He was really ready to let him go if he complied but he seemed too dense to even understand he just missed the opportunity to save his life. 

Manav lets out a humorous chuckle at that while Rajeeb rolls his eyes. 

"You are honest, kid. But school taught you wrong. Honesty doesn't make you great, it makes you a fool." He comments, coming closer to the kid. 

The kid hides his bread away as Manav makes his way towards him as if he was only worried that Manav will take away his food. It's as if the knife Manav is holding doesn't concern him that much, surprisingly. 

Kiaan already knew it wasn't his day. He has roamed from place to place, dived into at least 6 dumpsters to look for food. He doesn't have the luxury to be picky about food but he didn't really find anything edible. It was all rotten things. He didn't want to eat something that would give him a serious stomach bug. Because there will be no one to care for him. No one even will come forward if he dies somewhere.