Blindfold (Temporary name) - 04/29/23 - Teaser

"Don't you ever get tired of being nice?" Marsha asks. Laurie shakes her head and smiles.

"Not really. It doesn't take a lot of energy to be nice. Plus, sometimes you're the only one that shows people kindness. You never know how much someone could need it." Laurie says. Marsha raises an eyebrow.

"On the surface, you seem like you're faking it. But talking to you now, you must really believe that kindness can change someone." Marsha says lowly, taking a sip of her drink.

"You don't think it can? Are you pessimistic?" Laurie asks. Marsha scoffs.

"No. I'm a realist. I believe in being kind in moderation. I used to be like you, going out of my way to make everyone else happy, knowing they wouldn't do the same for me."

"And what happened?"

"Nothing. Nothing happened. I got nothing in return and eventually I got tired of it. Now...I speak when spoken to. I smile when someone smiles at me, and I stay to myself. I don't go out of my way to be nice anymore, I live for myself. I put myself first."

"That's a bit selfish, isn't it? You're just mirroring people." Laurie points out.

"Maybe. But there's nothing wrong with being selfish. You give yourself over and over and people stomp all over you and leave when they're finished with you. Being selfish is a way to avoid that." Marsha says.

"But...can you really form relationships like that? I always see you alone, so do you not have any friends?" Laurie whispers.

"You're right. I don't have friends. I have no one to lean on, but that means no one can leave me. I have no one to confide in, but that means no one can use my words against me. I have no one to hang out with, but that means less drama. No one can use me. No one can hurt me."

"But you can still feel lonely."

"I don't. I'm happier now than I've ever been. Being alone is different from being lonely. I'd rather be isolated than to be surrounded by hyenas." Marsha growls. Laurie is quiet. The sound of the cafe seemed deafening. Chairs scraping the floor, the clinking of dishes, and the hum of murmured morning conversations.

"You hear it, don't you?" Marsha whispers. Laurie raises her eyes to meet Marsha's. They were dark, but deep. It looked as though Marsha had the wisdom of three lifetimes in those eyes.

"Take off the blindfold, and close your mouth. You'll hear and see all kinds of things. The real side of humanity." Marsha says. Then she stands, slides her phone into her pocket, and walks away.