채식 김치 (Vegetarian Kimchi)

Ingredients:

1 (3 pound) head napa cabbage

6 tbsp large crystal salt

2 tbsp all-purpose flour

1 cup vegetable stock

1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sugar

1/4 cup mushroom dashi

1/4 cup "fishy" sauce*

9 garlic cloves, peeled

1 teaspoon minced, peeled ginger

1 medium onion, cut into chunks

3 tablespoon gojugaru**

6 ounces daikon, pealed and cut into bite sized pieces

1 small carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks

Directions:

Cut the cabbage lengthwise into quarters.  Cut away the core of each quarter.  Cut the leaves crosswise into 1 inch pieces and transfer to a large bowl.  Toss with salt and 1 cup of water.  Let stand for 2 hours, tossing the cabbage every 30 minutes to salt evenly.

Meanwhile, combine the flour and vegetable stock in a small saucepan and place over medium-high heat.  Stir until the mixture begins to bubble, 2-3 minutes.  Add 1 tablespoon sugar and stir until mixture is slightly translucent and has the consistency of runny porridge.  Remove from heat and allow to cool thoroughly.

After the 2 hours are over, drain the cabbage and rinse several times with cold running water until very clean (usually 8-10 times).  Drain well.  Dry the bowl.

Put the cooled flour porridge, dashi, fishy sauce, garlic, ginger, and onion in a food processor and process to a puree.  Transfer the puree to the bowl.

Add the gochugaru and stir well with a wooden spoon.  Mix in the daikon and carrot.

Add the cabbage and gently toss together (wear disposable gloves if mixing by hand).  Transfer to a kimchi container or glass jars or other airtight container.  Press down on the kimchi so it's well packed and no air can get inside, then put the lid on the container.

Leave at room temperature for 1-2 days until the kimchi smells sour.  Then transfer to the fridge and let ferment for roughly 2 weeks.  Once the kimchi is fermented, store in the refrigerator until you run out.  The kimchi will continue to ferment and become more sour, which is perfect for kimchi jjigae.  

Whenever you remove kimchi from the jar, be sure to press down on the remaining kimchi with a spoon to prevent it from being exposed to air.

*Note: This recipe uses a vegetarian substitute for fish sauce.  The one I usually use is from the Korean Vegan

**Note:  This makes a mild kimchi.  If you like your kimchi spicier, you can add up to 1 cup of gochugaru.