Chapter 85

Word is spreading among their friends about Ash, Alice, and Trenor's upcoming race in Pewter City, and they all decide to gather at the sidelines to watch. The Rapidash Racers display impressive skill in the initial rounds, employing various strategies to maintain their lead. However, their joy is tempered by the Dark Raiders, who resort to underhanded tactics to secure victory in each race. While it's clear that the race's referee and MC disapprove, they are bound by their duty and unable to intervene.

In the area designated for racers' preparation, Ash and Alice tend to their Rapidash. Alice turns to Ash with a concerned look and asks, "Ash, are we prepared to confront these cheaters in the race? What if they try to attack us?"

Ash reassures her, saying, "Don't worry, Minami and Golly are up in the stands. They'll be recording the race, providing us with evidence to have them held accountable." He then turns to Trenor, who seems nervous.

Trenor admits, "I'm anxious... it's my first time coming this close to winning. I can't afford to mess this up."

Ash smiles reassuringly and offers encouragement, "It's natural to feel that way, Trenor. Just remember, don't give up until it's over."

Currently, they find themselves in the final round of the race, facing off against their formidable opponents, the Dark Raiders. Eve expresses her disdain, saying, "I really can't stand the Dark Raiders. Rumor has it they resort to dirty tricks to win, but the lack of evidence keeps them from being disqualified."

Minami sympathizes, saying, "That's just not fair. I hope Ash and the others can defeat them and show they're not as innocent as they seem."

As they watch two groups enter the stadium, they eagerly cheer for Ash's team. The two groups exchange handshakes, though it's clear that one side is trying to squeeze the opponent's hand harder.

Unbeknownst to them, a certain doctor watches from the sidelines, noticing the resemblance between Trenor and Ash. He's keen on observing how the race unfolds.

As the race commences, Trenor takes the lead by leaping onto Mudsdale, while his opponent rides Arcanine. Both Pokémon charge forward as soon as the referee fires the starting signal.

"Wow, they're equally matched," Elline observes in awe.

Dawn agrees, saying, "That's what makes this race so thrilling. Right now, it's a tie."

To their surprise, Trenor's opponent abruptly commands Arcanine to use Flame Charge, causing it to surge ahead of Trenor and pass the second trainer.

Trenor maintains his composure, saying with a smile, "Just as expected." He continues to push Mudsdale forward even as his opponent changes the flag. Trenor then hands the flag off to Alice, who's mounted on her Galarian Rapidash. Her opponent is riding a Starmie.

"Wow, Alice is closing in on that Starmie," Helen remarks.

"Indeed, Rapidash is incredibly fast," Serena adds. But their excitement is short-lived as the opponent clenches her teeth and shouts, "Water Gun!"

To their astonishment, Starmie fires the attack at Rapidash, startling the horse and causing Alice to tumble to the ground.

"Hey, they're cheating!" The crowd voices their disapproval, showering the Dark Raiders with boos. Brock notices how Yuma growls with anger, reminiscent of Ash's own reactions to injustice.

Alice, holding her arm in pain, mounts Rapidash again and quickly resumes the chase after the Starmie. Although they fall behind for a few seconds, Alice eventually passes the flag to Ash, who rides his Fire-type Rapidash. Meanwhile, the last member of the opposing team is racing with their Steelix.