Chapter 8

In that gap semester, Lila had not only gotten herself hired, but she was already firmly entrenched in the administrative team by the time Marinette had walked back in the door.

Luckily, she had only gotten in Lila's way once. In return, Lila had proven that it still wasn't beneath her to threaten people in women's bathrooms.

Marinette's brows furrowed, as she scanned her phone, hoping for a new message from Chat Noir to lighten her mood.

Alya's mood was already more jovial since she had stopped talking about Lila. "And what is your favorite Cat up to tonight?"

Marinette frowning. "No word from him yet."

Alya looks over her shoulder. "Oh, no, Marinette."

"What?"

"You can't say that."

Marinette shook her head in disbelief. "I'm just checking in with him."

"That comes off as thirsty." Alya sighed. "You want him to chase after you, don't you?"

Marinette bit her lip. Maybe. Not that Alya would hear it from her. She was bad enough already.

"Look," Marinette held up her phone. "See. He didn't mind at all."

Alya peered over at her phone. "Wow. That's actually really sweet of him."

Marinette chuckled. "I told you. There's a reason we've been friends for years now."

"You both are adorable." She didn't know when Alya snapped a picture of her, but she was staring down at herself smiling like an idiot at the messages from Chat Noir on her best friend's phone.

"You know, you really should take him up on that offer someday."

"Hm?" Marinette's head shot up. "Which offer?"

"To go meet him at a convention."

Marinette snorted. "So I could also not drink and be around thousands of people?"

"Thousands of fans. Plus the one you know you've been dying to meet."

Marinette sighed. "I would like to meet him. Someday."

Alya shrugged. "This would be as safe a place as any."

"It just can't be any time soon. I need to really focus on getting the shop to be my full time job. Gabriel is more stressful than the paycheck is worth."

Alya turned her whole body on the couch to face her directly. "You should consider that trip more as a business expense."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean your whole business is costumes. What better way to go to other events and see what kind of costumes might be the most marketable for you?"

"That's... actually a really good idea."

Alya smirked. "Thanks. I've got tons of them."

Alya snorted. "Oh, this boy is fishing..."

Marinette chuckled. "I guess I have to tease him a little, then."

Alya pouted. "Spoilsport."

"He's getting whiny... And he should be busy having fun."

"You're just saying that because you don't know who he is hanging out with."

Pouting, Marinette took a much needed sip to fortify herself. "I'll worry if he tells me about all the girls he is hanging out with."

Alya perched her chin on Marinette's shoulder, scrolling on her own phone. "Has he ever told you anything before?"