Chapter 13

"I'm worried I'm going to screw this all up, Mom." She tugged at her hair. "My friend is counting on me to make this guy go away. And if... If I can do this, she will help bankroll the means for me to hire sewing help to get all of the orders handled."

"And if that happens..." Sabine was up, rubbing her daughter's back in comforting circles. "Then your store can finally be your full-time job.

"It's too much pressure," Marinette's shoulders deflated with her wine-soaked confidence.

Sabine narrowed her eyes. "I knew I should have asked that man for more money upfront."

"The residuals are nice... And there is another movie coming." Her hands pressed against her cheeks. "Maybe if I was patient, I wouldn't have to do this..."

"But your friend is still counting on you..." Sabine murmured, pulling Marinette's hand from her cheek and holding it in her own. "I know that would bother you too much."

Shrugging, Marinette's smile was rueful. "Kagami is ready to propose to Luka. Only her Mother thinks he isn't good enough for the family name."

Sabine blinked. "Isn't his father Jagged Stone?"

Marinette sighed, stumbling back and sinking into the couch. "Her Mom's company makes self-driving cars. And planes. Who even knows what else." Her hands slid over her face. "I've screwed up enough in my life, but what if I can't fix this for her?"

"Then your father and I can take a small loan to help you get started," Sabine stated firmly.

"I can't ask you to do that, Mom."

"Marinette," Sabine's voice rose. "I am your mother. I get to help when I can." She shook her head. "My dear, I fear you might have been letting your life pass by you. I almost missed seeing your father when I was too preoccupied. I would hate for you to miss opportunities, too."Dawn had barely broken over the Paris skies, Adrien was already being whisked down the nearly empty streets in one of the few suits he had brought with him.

It was just his luck that the iron in the hotel was barely doing its job.

Adrien sighed heavily, leaning his head against the window as the vaguely familiar buildings rushed past. He had stayed with Nathalie last night until visiting hours ended and only returned to the hotel long enough to get a shower and return again first thing this morning.

Nathalie's eyelids had flickered, but she had yet to wake up. The bandages around her usually pristine hair were the only obvious hint to her injuries.

He still wanted to be at her bedside today. To be there when she woke up.

Adrien scowled, getting out of the car and sliding on a pair of glasses. One of Nathalie's tenets had been to fake it until you make it. Appearances were everything inside of a fashion house. The younger he looked, the more people would walk all over him.

The more that he looked like his imposing Father, the better. At least within these walls.

At least until he figured out what had happened to Nathalie.

As they turned the final corner, Adrien fought off a wave of nausea. The Gabriel headquarters was still literally the last place he wanted to be right now. Father would have had the Gorilla chasing him around Paris and haul him bodily to those doors if he didn't show up on time.

It's not like he could have pulled himself out of self-imposed retirement to run his own company.

A woman with a sharp smile on her face, greeted him as he stepped out of the car. "Good Morning, Mr. Agreste. I'm Lila Rossi, Ms. Sancoeur's personal assistant. I'll be working with you closely to help you catch up to speed."