Chapter 23

Frowning, he opened the door wearing only a towel and wet, semi-tousled hair. If he was very lucky, she had left it all in a pile just outside the door.

Marinette came rushing down the stairs at the same time, startling him. He grabbed the towel, making sure it didn't dare move.

Her jaw dropped, standing there stunned mere steps away from the bottom.

Frantically, she covered her eyes behind her fingers. "Ack! I'm sorry."

Although, her fingers have been spread apart every few seconds longer than she had to.

"I just couldn't reach the clothes." He grinned, sheepishly.

Furiously blushing, she grabbed the pile where she had forgotten it - on the back of the couch - and thrust it at him. "I'll be out here if you need anything."

Adrien inhaled sharply once the door was closed.

Maybe it was all of the chaos at that moment, but his heart was pounding impossibly and had yet to subside. With all the modeling, he had worn that little around women for a good chunk of his life and hadn't been so affected.

Maybe it was the sight of Marinette blushing adorably.

After all, he'd only had his interactions with Ladybug to compare his feelings too.

Sighing heavily, Adrien slumped forward, pressing his forehead against the door. Wearily, he shoved his phone into his pocket, trying to hide the phone away with any sign of his disappointment.

At least he knew who to give the ring to now...

He didn't regret helping Marinette even for a moment, but it was hard not to need more than a few moments of silence to mourn the hopes and feelings he'd held onto for so long.

"Let's get some food to take as a picnic in the park."

Marinette glanced back over her shoulder, worrying her lip. "You'll get their hopes up."

Adrien frowned. "But your father suggested it."

"That's what worries me."

He held her hand, walking along the Seine once they'd finished with lunch, they would get to the movie theater.

"I figured you wouldn't go places on the cheap."

"My father is the one who has money, Marinette. I made some as a teen, but I didn't even have access to the funds from modeling until this year, which has allowed them to grow for 5 to 10 years."

"You could spend a lot more."

He shrugged. "Things have never made me happy. Well, not usually. I'd much rather use the money on what can ensure happiness."

Marinette frowned, reaching for his hand this time. "I'm sorry."

He smiled, buying them a pair of tickets. Once they were away from the crowds, he continued. "That's why I hired you. My freedom from my father's manipulations is worth all that and more."

Her hand rested on his arm, as they walked to the theater and found an open pair of seats. "It's still so weird to me that your father won't listen."

Adrien sighed. "I'm not sure that anyone has ever told him no. Meanwhile, I've heard it for years, every time I wanted to go to school with other kids, or wanted to stop modeling. I wasn't his son, I was his employee."

Marinette's face fell. "I have to admit, I know the feeling."

"Your parents tell you no?" Adrien smirked. "I think I left with more croissants than I've ever eaten in my life when I walked you to their door."