3

"I love you." I whisper against his lips. "I'll call you when I can. And you better answer and show me my son."

I pull Bucky close to me and press my lips to his.

"I will. Be safe for me. I need you back in one piece." He gives me a hard stare. "It's been a while. They're gods, Snow. Don't overwork yourself."

I run a hand over his cheek. "I think you forget what I am sometimes." Letting out a chuckle, I pull back and grab his hands. "I'll be perfectly fine. And trust me...I'm not risking anything. Our family is the most important thing to me, Buck. I'll see you soon." I kiss him once more and bop him on the nose before turning and heading back towards the others.

I really hate airports, but it is the only way back to other continents. But while Bucky's going home to New York, we're heading to good ol' South Dakota.

Did I totally get carsick? Yup. Did we totally have to stop 3 times so I could puke on the side of the road? Yup. Does Ikaris 100% hate me? Most definitely.

I can tell that Sersi suspects something is up. But she hasn't said anything. For that, I'm grateful. She knows I had Pete...and now Ikaris does to. There wasn't a ton of conversation topics for us to discuss.

But the sun is setting as we pull onto a ranch. A beautiful southern-looking house in the middle of nowhere. I'm excited to meet Ajak, the leader of the Eternals.

I'm also excited to be out of this car for more than 5 minutes.

It's a little windy as we make our way up the porch and towards the front door. The hairs on the back of my neck stand up as I notice the door's thrown open...

Maybe the wind did that.

"Hello?" Sersi calls out as we walk in, myself taking up the rear. "Ajak?"

It's dark inside, and very quiet aside from the wind. Sersi's gaze trains on the wide open back door. I don't sense any immediate trouble as Sersi leads us outside.

But then she starts running.

"Ajak!"

It's then that I see the body on the ground in the distance. Sersi kneels and runs a hand over her face, Ikaris looking around.

"A Deviant?" I ask him.

"Yes."

I decide to give them some time to process everything and go back inside the house. Sitting at the kitchen table, I start going over all the facts we have.

Eventually, Sprite and Ikaris join me. The former displaying an old memory for us to watch.

"It was the last time I saw her. Ajak asked me to check on Sersi, so I went to London." Ikaris touches her shoulder. "Turns out both of us were lonely, and we needed each other. I guess in her way, Ajak never stopped trying to take care of us."

"She loved you all." I said.

"I know...but...I think the Deviant that attacked us in London killed Ajak and absorbed her power."

"Deviants have never done that in the past." Ikaris states.

"It healed itself just like Ajak. I swear. I almost heard it speak."

"And you said they never used to do that?" I ask:

"Never."

I frown as I try to think why everything is changing now. Sprite lets out a sigh and looks toward the open door.

"I'll go check on Sersi." She pushes out of her seat and slowly makes her way out, leaving me with Ikaris.

"So...you dont like me." I awkwardly state.

"Why do you say that?"

"I can read minds." I shrug nonchalantly, masking my face as I see the flicker of panic in his eyes. "I don't do it intentionally. Sometimes...strong thoughts just , uh, project more."

"Hmm, must be an ancient being thing. Well—"

"Guys! It's Sersi!" We hear Sprites voice calling us and jolt up from our seats, running outside.

We see Sprite shaking her body, Ikaris kneeling down beside her. I come in front of her and place my finger tips on her temples, reaching in and gently coaxing her from wherever she is.

I shiver at the ancient feeling I get at entering her mind. I cant see anything, but I feel her green aura. It pulses and I use my white aura to guide her back to reality.

My eyes snap open, staring at the yellow, glowing orb on her chest.

"Sersi! Are you okay?"

She blinks, her eyes focusing on me in front of her. "Thanks." Her eyes flick down. "You're glowing."

"Yeah it's a thing. What happened?"

She looks away from me, blankly, and then towards Ikaris.

"The sphere that Ajak used to talk with Arishem. It came out of her body and went inside me."

"Did you talk with Arishem?" Ikaris asks.

"Yes. He said it's almost time."

"For what?" I ask.

"Can you try talking to him again?" Sprite pipes up.

"I don't know how."

"But she chose you to replace her." I turn to Sprite. "And she gave you the sphere."

"Hold on Sprite. Are you sure you talked with Arishem?"

"She would know." I tell him. "You get this feeling inside you when you talk with a celestial."

"I mean, what else would it be?" Sprite suggests.

"Mahd Wy'ry."

"It's not that." I say.

"And how would you know that?" Ikaris spits out.

"Because I was just in her mind and There's nothing abnormal." I snap back at him.

We're locked in a heated stare-down. I don't think I like Ikaris, but hopefully we figure out what the hell is going on.

Its so quiet you could hear a pin drop...and then my stomach growls. Loudly.

I wince and look away, standing and reaching out to help Sersi up.

"Hungry?" She asks with a small smile.

"Always." I mutter. "So, what do we do now?"

"We need the others." Sersi sighs.