Author Spotlight: Nefili123

This month's spotlighted author is @Nefili123 their story Covert Scars (The Peaceholders 1)

Rebel is a Peaceholder, with a past threatening to catch up and a brother who lusts after revenge

Rebel is a Peaceholder, with a past threatening to catch up and a brother who lusts after revenge. Kade is one of the bests, also the one Rebel has been secretly crushing over for years. When the love of his life dies, he doesn't want a pair for the quest. But fate has other plans. Rebel and Kade get paired for the quest as war brews in the Peaceholder Community. A pair forged for peace, a pair forged in fire.

What sparked the inspiration to write the story?

Well, I wasn't really inspired to write the story, it's more like I was inspired to write Rebel. Covert Scars is about Rebel, someone who thinks fears are a disgrace, a sign of weakness. I was once like that, took me years to understand fears are nothing to be ashamed of. What's bravery if not doing it despite the fear? There, that's my inspiration.

What inspired you to start writing on Wattpad?

I was a storyteller since grade one. But I wasn't confident enough to pen it down, not until 2020. In 2020, when the world was under lockdown, it happened. I took a leap, decided to take the first step to be a published author someday. I knew Wattpad since I was into fanfiction reading, so when I wrote, I published it on Wattpad. My first book didn't get much audience, but I bloomed into an author during that time. My few readers helped me with their comments by pointing out my mistakes and appreciating my writing when needed. Constructive criticism and the excitement to please my readers, both of which were offered by Wattpad, made a storyteller into an author.

Budding authors face countable hindrances, what hindrance(s) did you face the most?

Although my book was appreciated; with good reviews, pleased comments, numerous awards, and being added to various official reading lists like Military Fiction, it still couldn't rank high. Without that, the number of reads couldn't increase. I didn't know why it was happening and never got to find out. 

Negative criticism is inevitable, how do you deal with it? And what would you suggest the others do when faced with such?

Trust me on this, the majority of my growth happened because of negative criticism. Each time I read a negative criticism it stung, I was maybe upset for a day or two. But the next I strived to be better. It's because of negative criticism that I noticed a change in my writing, it became more polished. My suggestion is, let it sting, you'll only be strengthened by it. Let's turn negative aspects into motivation.

What according to you sets Military Fiction apart from other genres?

Military fiction is a fine work of writing. To depict a scene, a war or a battle, with hundreds and hundreds of people, and their emotions—individually and collectively, is a great work of art. 

What do you feel is the biggest myth about writers?

I'll talk from my personal experience. The myth surrounding me is I'm just doing fun with writing. No one believes I'll one day see success. I sincerely hope this is a myth 😅

Your go to cure for a bad day?

I go by the theory that there're no good days without bad days, they're a part of the deal, and they suck. It's a fact, we'll just have to handle it. 

How do you avoid or get out of writers' block?

Reading. Reading gets me going again. 

Any advice for your fellow/new writers?

Write what you're afraid to write, emotions you don't understand, problems that need a solution, people you want to forget, people you want to carry on with you forever, and moments you want to immortalize...these often make an awesome story. And most important of all, love your writing with all its flaws and blemishes. 

What's your message for our readers?

If you're someone who likes military fiction, but also fantasy and romance, do read my book. I promise you'll not regret it. 

We're delighted to have @Nefili123 as one of our spotlighted authors! Interested to know how you can become one?

Each author in here has been noticed by us for their outstanding book. Keep working on your story and submit your story to our reading lists to get noticed more easily.