Author Spotlight: KaraCarreira

This month's spotlighted author is KaraCarreira with their story The Gazelle (A Rapunzel Retelling)

The author who goes by the pen name - Kara Carreira is a final year university student and a writer of romantic and diverse fantasy as well as historical fantasy, which earned her a Watty in Historical Fiction in 2021. When she is not writing, you can find her devouring Greek myth retellings, indulging in sitcoms, or daydreaming about the sea.

 When she is not writing, you can find her devouring Greek myth retellings, indulging in sitcoms, or daydreaming about the sea

Having grown up in a tower far from civilisation, Tabeya can only read and dream about the world beyond it. When she meets Humban, a young enemy general sent on a mission to the palace where she lives, the warring kingdoms around her become all too real, as does the truth about her past. Together, she and Humban flee her captor into a world where their love might be the only thing that can protect them from the magical and violent forces that seek to destroy them. 

Interested to know how this story came to be or the author's challenges of writing it? Read on to know more.

What sparked the inspiration to write the story?
November 2019 was the first time since primary school that I didn't have to write exams. I knew NaNoWriMo was happening in the same month, so I decided to commit to the challenge, after trying and failing to get more than a couple thousand words in 2016. As a lover of classic fairytales and ancient history, I decided to combine the two to create a story I was sure I'd finish. I chose to retell Rapunzel, since this is one of fairytales I've seen less frequently reimagined compared to the more popular ones like Cinderella and Snow White. The setting I chose to inspire my fictional world was ancient Mesopotamia. That is how my Mesopotamian-inspired Rapunzel retelling came to be. 

What inspired you to start writing on Wattpad?
My mind has overflowed with stories as long as I can remember, so to me, it always felt right to become a writer. All the research I did told me that it takes years to build your skills. I joined Wattpad to kickstart that process. I hoped to develop my writing method and receive helpful critique from readers and other writers in order to become a better writer.