Chapter 8

Adrien went into the room and immediately caught sight of his backpack. He'd been stalling for the past while, but it was close to midnight and he needed to work quickly to slip outside in order for the three of them to make their escape.

The thing was, Adrien wasn't sure what to take. He was certain he wouldn't have many opportunities to wear fine clothes, so he kept the clothes similar to what he already had on. He only had his amulet to remind him of his old life. Well, there were also the books he'd brought, which were pushed in a corner since he'd shoved his backpack there.

Would he even need to read while on the quest the books always outlined?

He decided to bring a couple with him, just in case.

Maybe draw similarities between his own life and the books, since his life was clearly beginning to parallel them.

"You're leaving so soon?"

Adrien turned and saw Biana at the doorway.

"Don't worry, no one knows," she assured, and Adrien released the breath he was holding.

"Yeah, we're leaving," he said. "Tonight. Midnight."

"Oh," Biana's face darkened a little.

"We're meeting at the marble fountain before going into the Aelesian Forest. Then... I guess we're off to find the Black Swan."

"Don't stay there too long, then. Everglen is constantly watched, so the wrong move could make you all get accused of being fugitives."

"They really do have a bad name here."

"Because of what they do. And the ones we don't know much about..."

"You mean Ladybug."

Adrien was secretly hoping he wouldn't run into this Ladybug fugitive everyone seemed terrified about. Hopefully he wouldn't run into any fugitives, especially with all the stories everyone was telling. But the way they spoke about Ladybug, like just uttering her name would mean disaster, it totally did not make him curious to know what she was really like.

He still wasn't fully certain if Fitz was right about all of them planning rebellion, but he would take that one with a grain of salt.

He slung his backpack over his shoulder. "I really should be going."

"Yeah," Biana's face was downcast. "I... uh... hope you come back safe."

"With Keefe there?" Adrien furrowed his brow.

Biana giggled. "I guess you have a point there."

"Good, none of us chickened," Sophie said as Adrien ran up to her and Keefe, sitting at the edge of the fountain.

"I'm surprised Agreste didn't back out, though," Keefe shrugged. "You seem like the type to run away from serious situations."

Adrien furrowed his brow. "You can tell?"

"Keefe, give the poor boy a break," Sophie elbowed Keefe. "It's his first real adventure in Aelesia."

"This isn't your first rodeo?" Adrien wondered.

Sophie and Keefe stared.

"Are we supposed to know what a rodeo is?" Keefe whisper-shouted to Sophie.

"Right, you wouldn't know that expression," Adrien realized. Aelesia and Earth clearly had their own catchphrases. "Well, I was asking about this not being your first time."