Chapter 57; Grillby's Reopened

Grillby was a simple monster and now a simple man. Never had the desire for frivolity. Many of the older monsters called him a war hero but he only considered himself an ordinary bar owner. Ichika helped him pick out the perfect place for his new bar to be opened. A two story building; a wide open floor plan on the first floor, two rooms and a kitchenette on the second. What really sold Grillby on the property were the mirrored bay windows on both floors.

<~>

"grillby what's this?"

Sans held up an old picture book of an old human cabin. He was roughly six years old and insanely clumsy.

"Hey Sans. Welcome back. Where's your father?"

"daddy ended my lessons early so he can work and he sent me. can I have choco-milk?"

Grillby lifted Sans to sit on his hip as he walked into the kitchen. A super chocolatey and warm milk drink was expertly made one handed and the sippy cup was in Sans's mouth in seconds.

"Now, what was it you were trying to show me, Shooting Star?"

Sans's eyelights brightened and wiggled to be let down. He jammed his sippy into Grillby's hands and tripped over his own two feet as he ran back into the bar. Grillby followed and sat at a booth. Sans grabbed his picture book from where he dropped and attempted to climb onto Grillby's lap.

"Lemme help you, Little Star."

Sans was situated and he flipped through the pages until he stopped.

"whats this pretty round window thing?"

"That is called a bay window. It's both a window and a seat. When I lived on the surface, my family home had a big bay window. It was the spot for family discussions and game nights."

"cool! can the bar have a bay window?"

"I'm sorry Sans, but the structural design of the bar can't support a bay window. The surrounding walls would be ripped straight off the bones."

"bones like mine?"

"No sweet boy. The house's bones are the big wooden pillars holding the roof and walls in place."

"oh. my bones are prettier."

"That they are."

Grillby kissed the top of Sans's skull.

"grillby, when i'm a grownup, i'm gonna open up my own bar and it's gonna have a big bay window and we'll play games there!"

"I'll look forward to it. Do you want to help set up the bar for service tonight?"

"yes!"

<~>

Sans was obsessed with bay windows for years until one day he just stopped. Out of the blue, a week before he was taken to the world they were in now, he just stopped talking about it completely. Grillby didn't know why, but the building having not one, but two of the exact window Sans used to fantasize about having, only solidified his decision.

Since Grillby didn't have a job, the plan was for Ichika and Natsumi to buy the building and for Grillby to open the bar. Grillby would buy the building off of them after the bar started making money. Skip forward some, Sans is Grillby's biological son. Sans offered to help out with the bar after school. Grillby had to force Sans to get Nezu's permission since students weren't allowed to have after-school jobs.

Nezu, the drama loving rat, had no issue allowing Sans to work at the bar with the exception that if his grades started dropping, the privilege would be revoked. It was time for everyone to get to work.