Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Dinner came as quiet as breakfast and lunch on that day, he waited patiently for his parents to arrive and be seated before deciding to leisurely join them in the dining area. His family home is quite huge for the few people warming up the wood with their presence, his elder brothers had not returned as of yet and he did not take it lightly.

His mother would ambush him on interrogations about his future plans, his explorations, thoughts and dreams. Too much for him to handle in one sitting, she wanted to know everything!

But he could not blame her, she did the same for all of them. Refusing to be the only son avoiding their mother, he would nonchalantly walk around the house, work in his room and eat with them as he answered with short and simple questions - much to his mothers displeasure -

He did feel guilt, after all, he was human. But Mikoto did not have the blessing of a daughter, if so, her entire world would be around her, leaving him and his brothers to watch over them every now and then only to return to their own life without the constant question -

- "So, Sasuke. Have you meet anyone new? A girl, perhaps?" - her eyes squinted with her warm and bright smile. It took him only a second to remember.

He didn't even leave the house today.

- "No." - he answered as he walked in the dining room, took a seat - not too far or too close - to his parents and began to enjoy his meal. Again, she made a slight pout at him. It was the same question every day, she knew well how much he travelled - and loved it - but only spent time with his male friends. Women were too complicated.

Not that he disliked women, he just wanted to be treated like an equal instead of those glances filled with determination over the sun of a high-ranking clansman in a very prestigious and strong clan that harbours many secrets.

He knew all too well how people crave their attention, their position, the power they held above the warriors of the Land of Fire and - above all - their secrets.

Itachi had told him many times about how much he had to watch over his shoulder, people will give bright and fake smiles with waves of pretty words just to be present in society.

Civilians usually stayed away, especially the eldest. They don't trust the many clans because of the simple reason and believe that most of men and women like him know how to kill.

And that will cause them to fear and even hate them.

With all the prestige and the honour that comes with the position, it also comes with the grim reality over their lives. They fight to protect and to attack when it is necessary. Sadly, not all clans harbour the best warriors and have become the thorn in his families shows.

Jealous men and woman who have nothing better to do will cause a ruckus every time there is a crime in town, blaming the people who know how to wield a sword or any other weapon to their sick pleasure.

Not all warriors like to wield their weapons against people, that is a fact. Another fact is - one he has learned time and time again - not all civilians are weak and innocent.

Poison, sharp edges, dangerous explosives, and even common household items have been used to hurt and even end people lives - all wielded by those very people who look at him like he is the dangerous one amongst them.

- "Mikoto, dear. Let him enjoy dinner, I went to the market today and bought the best ingredients." - his father calmed her down, it was a waste not to enjoy the delicious homemade meals when someone is breathing down your neck over what kind of future you want.

He really needed to move out.

- "Fine. But just because we have other exciting news." - she spoke, placing both hands together in a slight prayer to have the best news possible. - "Madara has returned and - " -