George-

It had been a few weeks since I brought up Clay buying a horse, I was kidding but he's genuinely gone to loads of auctions. Obviously it's hard to find good horses there, and lots of time when he comes back he looks heart broken, I'm assuming because of the condition of lots of the horses. Either way, I had been sitting in Vertello's stall for the past few hours, I wasn't feeling the best today, my mum had texted me saying she couldn't come over until next month, she's been saying that for the past three months, but she'll come one day, I hope at least.

Vertello was lying down in his shavings, with his head in my lap. I had my headphones in and didn't hear the stall open. Vertello jumped up, and I did too. I looked to the door and saw Clay there, "Christ sake Clay, what's up?" I asked, "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you or Vert.." He said, "Vert? Is that a nickname or something?" I asked, "Oh, sorry, I didn't even know I said that, but whatever, I was going to ask a favour, think you could do one for me?" He asked.

"Well, that depends, what is it?" I asked, he shifted his body weight a bit and walked into Vertello's stall, closing the door behind him. "Would you want to come to an auction with me? I'm hoping you have good luck.. I really want a horse for Wren, and she's not to young, I just think it's a good idea. So, will you go with me?" He asked, I sighed, "Fine. Just once. But this is the only one I'm going too." I said, he physically jumped and ran to hug me. 

"Thank you! You won't regret it, I promise, and if we end up finding something, then I might just have to bring Wren over to meet you." He said, smiling more than I've ever seen before, "Yeah yeah, let me get up and ready to go." I said, he nodded and I watched him run to his tackroom. I got out of Vertello's stall and closed the door, "Bye darling, don't get to dirty." I said to my horse, half heartedly joking. I quickly ran over to my tackroom so pull some money from my safe, just in case Clay didn't have enough.

I ran over to the barn doors where I saw Clay on his phone smiling, "Alright, ready to go?" I asked, "Yeah sorry, just checking Wren's okay.." He said, still looking at his phone, "Is she alone or.?" I asked, "No, she's with my friend Darryl, you'll meet him someday." He said. I just nodded, "Alright, off we go to the truck." He said, leading me to where he was parked. I got into his truck and he got into the drivers side. He turned it on and it immediately started playing country music, I tried to hide my dislike for it but he did end up noticing after awhile.

"C'mon George you can't say you don't like this song, it's g'na be stuck in your head all day, that's how good it is." He said, I just rolled my eyes, the song was okay, something called Wild Hearts buy Keith something. 

We got to the auction pretty quick, it was just a couple roads down, but holy shit was it packed with cars. "Clay, what did you drag me into?" I asked, "C'mon this is supposed to be the best one of the year! Trust me, it'll be great, have you ever been to a bit one? This has over nine hundred horses!" He said, I sighed and just nodded, as long as he was happy.

"Alright, obviously you've seen what some auctions can be like and how the horses can look, so if you do need a break, just tell me. And if you find something you like then also come get me." He said, I nodded and opened my door to get out, he did the same. We walked up to the front of the sales barn and got our numbers for bidding. "Alright, off we go, I'm super exited!" He said, looking at me and smiling.

We walked into the barn and headed right down the isle, "Oh! Look at this one!" He said, pointing to a shorter gray mare, "She's pretty, look at her right front though." I said, "Oh, shit you're right.. lot's of inflammation." He said, "Yeah, lets keep looking." I replied. We continued to walk down isle after isle, not finding a lot. I started to get invested, looking at horses suitable for a two year old. There was lot's of good ones, but not super well confirmation wise.

After an hour of looking I came across a drafty looking gelding, his mane was roached and he had the kindest looking face. I showed Clay and he liked the look of it, I opened his stall door and started to look at him, I saw the owner and asked a few basic questions. I was told he was eight, but broke to ride and do anything. Kid friendly but he was sometimes spooky and about 16 hands tall. So, maybe not the best fit.

We kept walking and Clay could see the disappointment on my face, "Hey, don't worry, the right horse will come along." He said, I smiled and just tried to agree, no matter how I felt. Today was already not the best, and having high hopes was probably not a good idea for this auction. We kept walking and got down to the last few hundred horses to look at. "Hey, there's no point in looking more, bidding starts and if we need to we'll buy in the ring." He said, wrapping his arm around my waist and walking with me down to the bidding arena.

We found out seats close to the ring and waited for it to start, as people started pouring in so did the horses. Lots of theme where horses we had seen at the start. including the gray mare who went for around two thousand. I didn't know what budget Clay had but I brought a couple thousand with he just incase. After a hour and a half I was getting ready to give up hope, but just then, the most beautiful horses walked into the ring..

.
1062 WORDS